jewelweed & Himalayan balsam

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
In N. America jewelweed is used to relieve the itching from insect bites and to soothe rashes caused by plant stings and sunburn.
http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm
In it's habit it sounds awfully like our invasive balsam; they are both Impatiens species, etc.,
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0705/himalayanbalsam.asp
Does anyone know if the Himalayan balsam can be used in the same way as the jewelweed?

cheers,
Toddy

Himalayan balsam works for me on nettle stings. The seeds of both are a nice nibble too.

Cheers,

Tom

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Himalayan balsam works for me on nettle stings. The seeds of both are a nice nibble too.

Cheers,

Tom

How do you eat the seeds?

I have used the stems on small burn, for no other reason than it was wet and there at the time. It was soothing and the burn didn't blister but a damp cloth may of been just as good. I have tried cooking and eating the stems but i didn't like the flavour at all.

There is alot common plants that will do nettle stings, but less that do insect bites. I will try himalayn balsam next time I get bit. You can never know too many cures for midge bite.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can catch them :lmao: Interesting to hear that there may be a practical use. thanks Toddy.

Swoop a hat or a kid's baggie minnow net over them. The seed pods are going to explode anyway, but if you catch and eat them at least some of the invasion forces are thwarted. :rolleyes:

I just munch them like sunflowers seeds.

Interesting info. on the burn and the nettle stings, thanks folks :)

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If anyone has any other use for Himalayan balsam please speak out :)

The orrible stuff has invaded most of my local valley and woodland so a food or other use may help in its demise.:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE