jerky recipes

Jun 25, 2007
scotland
hey all, just got a dehydrator from westfelia that was recommended in one of the jerky threads, made my first batch which is pretty nice (used some spice mixes, jamacan jerk, bbq and piri piri)
can anyone recommend any wet marinades to use as l was thinking of giving it a go, im not fussy just whatever you think is nice (oh and can someone deff. tell me a recipe for tereaki style?)

Yonderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 17, 2007
NW Alberta, Canada
This is what I use for a wet marinade. This is for 12 lbs. of meat and the ingredient amounts are approximates as I don't have a set recipe so adjust accordingly. I usually use a smoker, but if I'm using a dehydrator I sometimes add some liquid smoke.

1-cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Soya sauce
3 tbsp Celtic sea salt
3 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp crushed cayenne pepper
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups water

Heat the brine until the sugar is dissolved and then allow it to cool. Pour the brine over the sliced meat in a marinating tray or sealable plastic bowl (don't use steel or aluminum).
Marinate at least overnight (24 hrs is better), pat the meat dry and then put it in the dehydrator.

We like it and it does give it a kind of teryaki like taste.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
my main mix for beef or venison is:

Good Japanese Soy
Demara sugar
garlic salt
onion granules
dash of good Worcestershire Sauce
(optional ingredients especially good for venison either cloudberry jam or lingonberry jam from Ikea and just reduce or replace the sugar)

I don't do measurements I just go by taste.

But I have made loads of other marinade including some Christmas turkey jerky with orange juice, mace, nutmeg, cinnamon, and minced fresh cranberries (my own concoction).

If you are after good book I can recommend Just Jerky by Mary Bell and there are even some, I don't know if I dare say
some
Vegie ones! :yikes:

Now I have said it!;):D

I feel like I must eat some manly meat!

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Teriyaki is simple either buy it from the supermarket and water it down a bit or:

1:1 Good Soy & Mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine) and a bit of extra sugar to taste.

You can get Mirin in nearly every large supermarket but if you cannot, us either sake or dry sherry and sugar. I also like to add some dried boneto flakes.

Jun 25, 2007
scotland
yeah the westfalia dehydrator is deff worth it i'd say, so far i've made 2 batches of jerky and a batch of dried mango, bannana and apple. i'd say go for it as its just under 30 quid all in if you live in Britain.
I think i'll give the teriyaki marinade a go soon, also think using some kind of relish as a coating would work ok?

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Just made some jerky in the oven I know some people like a wet marrinade but this my first attempt I used blackend cajen seasonin like another post I read I was closley supervised by my Border collie I dried the meat 3hours on a very low heat WULLAR very nice indeed

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I bought some in an american PX Chinese Ginger and Sesame seed it was delicious. I do the same now with soy sauce, grated ginger and crushed sesame seeds. I leave it overnight out of the fridge to marinate and sprinkle some sesame seeds on it as I lay it in the dehydrator. I use a Westfalia too and it's the mutts nuts, have done jerky(chicken didn't work out too well), mango, banana, apple(crisps), Kiwi, strawberry's and intend to try pear soon. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE