jerky guns

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Has anyone tried using a jerky gun before? i'd never heard of them.

Have a look at "using a jerky gun" on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAps6380j7M

I might have to modify my caulking gun, just for a laugh:lmao:

the results remind me of dog treats

I'm having trouble posting a pic of one, if anyone can help?:vio:

cheers

(no affiliation with the brand of gun etc)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I just don't get the benefit of it (always just thought it was by yanks making simple things complicated). Why not just make the jerky (or biltong) in strips instead of mincing & piping?

That's exactly what I was thinking, it's not something you can achieve in the field.
I don't like the idea of using raw mince either.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I make jerky two or three times a year. I always have used low fat (<5%) Aberdeen Angus beef mince with my own secret recipe of spices, herbs and natural preservatives.

I roll out a handful of the mixture with a rolling pin as thin as I can, perhaps 1.5-2mm, then cut into strips 20-25mm wide and 25-30cm long which are then dehydrated. A kilogram of mince produces about 400gm of jerky but that includes the additions of course.

It is quick, simple, easy and straightforward with no waste. It only takes 15-20 minutes to mix and prepare and about four hours to dry. Never stint on the mince quality. If there is too much fat you get a mucky mess that does not keep and you will have wasted your money and time.

No one has ever commented on the fact it is made of mince or, I suspect, even noticed.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hmm I think I have a use for the WW2 grease gun I found the other day ( it was used to grease the gears of sub-net winches in the Clyde ) must weigh about 30 kilos itself.. Could make a lot of jerky with it. Or I could do it the normal way and do it quicker.. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've used this method (they call 'em Jerkey Shooters here). Makes the jerkey easier to chew and use in recipes. Also easier to add bits of things to the mix. But I prefer the old method.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I've used this method (they call 'em Jerkey Shooters here). Makes the jerkey easier to chew and use in recipes. Also easier to add bits of things to the mix. But I prefer the old method.

Ah right - I suppose that makes sense - gotta say I'm not a fan anyway - my Dad goes on about biltong from his time in South Africa but I've tried it and it tastes like rotten meat to me. Shame really because I could make it really easily in my smoker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE