Jazzing up food on the trail

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I saw a clip on youtube and a fella had a small herbs and spices selection in his bug out bag. It made sense to have some things to make sometimes bland food more tasty and it doesn't take much room up and would I imagine be quite a moral boost?

I bought 10 tiny glass 8ml jars from ebay and filled up 8 of them with garlic granules, Cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, mixed herbs, garam massala, barbecue seasoning and some cinnamon. The remaining 2 jars are yet to be filled as I ran out of stuff.

Anyone else do the same and carry some food enhancers?

001-16.jpg

Steve.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Yes. I have a small tub full of tiny containers, each holding enough spices for a weekend or so. Packs pretty small.

I like your small squeezy tubes though. Might use that idea.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I do something similar.
I have one of the Highlander mess boxes (the one with the clips to hold the lid on)
Inside I keep film cannisters with spices, a tube of salt, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, stock cubes, etc.
In my emergency kit I keep a ziplock of Cous-Cous, a few stock cubes, dried onion, and a few mini pepperamis.
It fits into a crusader mug sized package and would do a couple of meals, and keeps well.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ta, I have some 30ml flip top plastic bottles that I was gonna use for meths but will now probably fill them with some nice liquids. I like the lemon, tabasco and oil ideas.

Steve

I now use this set up:

condimentcontainers2.jpg

Jalapeno hot sauce, Tabasco sauce, Veg oil, washing up liquid and cut down scourers salt and mixed herbs.

All fits inside my eagle kettle with some 3 in1 coffees and a collapsible mug.

The small liquid containers with the red lids are the ones you get in sushi:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262160604

Last edited:

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Salt, pepper and cajun spice mix in a 3 in 1 travel container. A small bottle of chilli sauce and Berber Spice mix from Seasoned Pioneers website (this last is the dogs danglies for a stew!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE