Japenese knotweed

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
338
73
33
Doncaster
Iv noticed this plant has extensive orange rhizomes and there edible according to my online research has anybody eaten these? Iv eaten the spring shoots as a rhubarb substitute but never the rhizomes ,id assume you wouldnt need landowners permission to uproot them either as there generally a hated and invasive plant thoughts are apreciated
 
Regardless of plant you always need the landowners permission to dig them up.

Under EPA 1990 and WCA 1981 legislation JKW is an invasive species and therefore controlled waste if it is being moved and or disposed of. There is very stringent requirements for the correct disposal of any plant material and or soil which is contaminated by JKW and that would include any trimmings that would be left over after preparation of it for eating. Fines can be up to £5,000 and or 6 months imprisonment for failure to follow the correct procedures required.

Basically leave it well alone and go find something else less harmful to the environment to try eating.
 
Regardless of plant you always need the landowners permission to dig them up.

Under EPA 1990 and WCA 1981 legislation JKW is an invasive species and therefore controlled waste if it is being moved and or disposed of. There is very stringent requirements for the correct disposal of any plant material and or soil which is contaminated by JKW and that would include any trimmings that would be left over after preparation of it for eating. Fines can be up to £5,000 and or 6 months imprisonment for failure to follow the correct procedures required.

Basically leave it well alone and go find something else less harmful to the environment to try eating.
Uprooting it wouldnt spread it if u was carefull I very much doubt somebody would grass u up for uprooting knotweed and nobody enforces this law u could uproot and cook it on site for example I'm not saying I'm going to do it I'm just interested
 
JKW has been proven to spread from a piece of root as small the size of a hazelnut. It's an extremely vigorous and pernicious plant which is why there's strict legislation in place to control it.

As to to no one enforces the legislation tell that to the various people who have been successfully prosecuted for failing to follow said relevant legislation...
 
JKW has been proven to spread from a piece of root as small the size of a hazelnut. It's an extremely vigorous and pernicious plant which is why there's strict legislation in place to control it.

As to to no one enforces the legislation tell that to the various people who have been successfully prosecuted for failing to follow said relevant legislation...
I know this but everyone forages this plant even people of repute it can grow from cuttings to btw personally if someone grabbed me they wouldn't get far id hit them with a combination theyve never seen :)
 
JKW has been proven to spread from a piece of root as small the size of a hazelnut. It's an extremely vigorous and pernicious plant which is why there's strict legislation in place to control it.

As to to no one enforces the legislation tell that to the various people who have been successfully prosecuted for failing to follow said relevant legislation...
The people who got prosecuted for this obv didnt know there rights ,only the police have the right to detain people in the uk and even they mostly don't understand the laws they enforce iv not seen a water bailiff in over 20 years even though I do buy my rod license and I only see police in citys dealing with real actual crimes ie stabbings, n so forth they don't have the time to walk the countryside in South yorkshire
 
The people who got prosecuted for this obv didnt know there rights ,only the police have the right to detain people in the uk and even they mostly don't understand the laws they enforce iv not seen a water bailiff in over 20 years even though I do buy my rod license and I only see police in citys dealing with real actual crimes ie stabbings, n so forth they don't have the time to walk the countryside in South yorkshire

As you seem to know your Law can you then explain to me what is meant by the term Citizens Arrest ?
 
It's illegal to dig up roots without landowner's permission.....and JKW is such a problematic pain that any poor blighter who has it inflicted on his/her land must already feel the stress of it and be 'really' concerned at any potential spread.

On t'other hand, the tops if picked constantly, especially in the growing season, are both good food and slowly starve the roots to death.

Takes a lot of eating though.

I cook every part I take, even the stuff I'm not going to eat. That way I know I've killed it.
The lower stems are pretty cheugh, can't imagine the roots would be any softer.

I don't take the roots though, it can literally grow from a tiny tiny piece. I wouldn't advise anyone else to take them either.

It's rather a triffid of a plant.
 
Not advocating the eating, much less the trespassing and constructive vandalism, but how deep would the rhizomes be? I recall hearing that one of the problems getting rid of the stuff was the depth to which they grew.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Spirit fish
Not advocating the eating, much less the trespassing and constructive vandalism, but how deep would the rhizomes be? I recall hearing that one of the problems getting rid of the stuff was the depth to which they grew.

I've known quite a few Mortgage apps get turned down because the JKW gets down and into the foundations of older property stock. Its pretty potent stuff.
 
Not advocating the eating, much less the trespassing and constructive vandalism, but how deep would the rhizomes be? I recall hearing that one of the problems getting rid of the stuff was the depth to which they grew.
A few metres down then outwards quite the distance from what iv seen
 
Not advocating the eating, much less the trespassing and constructive vandalism, but how deep would the rhizomes be? I recall hearing that one of the problems getting rid of the stuff was the depth to which they grew.
It's been found to grow as deep as 2 mtrs Chris. It can also lay dormant for up to 20 years and then start growing if disturbed.

If it's dug up for disposal the all parts of it including waste soil contaminated by it has to be buried a minimum of 5 metres. In addition to that it has to also be buried under a root barrier membrane which will prevent the re-emergence of the plant.
 
It's illegal to dig up roots without landowner's permission.....and JKW is such a problematic pain that any poor blighter who has it inflicted on his/her land must already feel the stress of it and be 'really' concerned at any potential spread.

On t'other hand, the tops if picked constantly, especially in the growing season, are both good food and slowly starve the roots to death.

Takes a lot of eating though.

I cook every part I take, even the stuff I'm not going to eat. That way I know I've killed it.
The lower stems are pretty cheugh, can't imagine the roots would be any softer.

I don't take the roots though, it can literally grow from a tiny tiny piece. I wouldn't advise anyone else to take them either.

It's rather a triffid of a plant.
The new shoots are tasty
 
The Jap is not that bad here, fairly easily controlled, the problem here is giant knotweed. That takes somedoing to get rid of.
 
@Spirit fish
You are as ever missing the point.

You said only the Police may detain you.

So , what is it if a Citizen utilises Citizens Arrest to stop and detain you?
 
Digging for something that could be two metres deep doesn't sound a particularly wise use of time and energy.

With my moderator hat on.
We try to discourage the promotion of illegal activity, particularly when it pertains to poaching, foraging, and land access. @Spirit fish, Mesquite has given examples and reference for why what you are suggesting would be against the law. If you have legal references that refute his position, share them by all means. If your argument rests, as it appears to do, on the police being too busy to enforce the laws, and you being too handy with your fists to be apprehended by anyone else, please keep these thoughts to yourself. This isn't the place to share them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nigelp
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE