Japanese Knot Weed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Has anyone here used Japanese Knot Weed to build shelters?

I was wondering cos it's like Bamboo in texture (although a lot skinnier) it's a pest and and not on the botanists favourites list, and there is tons of it about.

I reckon its tough enough to make a sustantial frame at least

Any takers on this much maligned plant.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The stems are very weak.Although it looks similar to bamboo it is a perenial (sp) plant and as it grows rapidly to 2-3 metres I presume it only has a short time to lignify.the stems wouldnt support much weight but would maybe be good for thatching.Also I have only ever seen it flourish is full sunlight so you may have a long walk to find some if your in the woods.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Not much good. As a kid, we used to call it bamboo, because of the hollow stems.

The young shoots are apparently edible, and you might get water out of it, or use it as a pipe (for water, or for blowing into the embers of last night's fire to make it flare up). Maybe as a fishing float, if you can't find elder pith.

Keith.

mammy_nun

Aug 7, 2005
Gourock, Scotland
allenko said:
Has anyone here used Japanese Knot Weed to build shelters?

I was wondering cos it's like Bamboo in texture (although a lot skinnier) it's a pest and and not on the botanists favourites list, and there is tons of it about.

I reckon its tough enough to make a sustantial frame at least

Any takers on this much maligned plant.

Problem with Japanese Knotweed is it's so invasive. Introduced by the victorians in Britain there is only female plants no males (or the other way round). All the Japanese Knotweed you see comes from that original plant reproducing vegatively. A small piece of knotweed 1/4inch long has a 70% chance of re-growing. If you pull it and move it you will be spreading it. Best not.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
mammy_nun said:
Problem with Japanese Knotweed is it's so invasive. Introduced by the victorians in Britain there is only female plants no males (or the other way round). All the Japanese Knotweed you see comes from that original plant reproducing vegatively. A small piece of knotweed 1/4inch long has a 70% chance of re-growing. If you pull it and move it you will be spreading it. Best not.

I agree. Unless you're deliberately removing it for destruction or for eating, best leave it alone. It tastes like cheugh rhubarb, is okay cooked, and it helps to mordant wool for dyeing.
Cheers,
Toddy

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The stuff is so invasive that it is illegal to move it, if removed it has to be destroyed/burnt on site. If a developer finds it on a site he wishes to build on he has to remove the topsoil completely!
It does grow in woodland edges and has started take over a field we use it seems to be growing out instead of up as we have chopped it back :(
I beleive there are plans to introduce a bug, an insect or fungi, that eats the plant as it has no natural enemies in europe although it is grazed it grows back after grazing stops. I think the fact that this is being considered shows how serious this plant is!
As you can probably tell we are having a small batlle with it at the moment, but the scale of the problems in other places surprised me when I googled it.
http://www.cabi-bioscience.org/html/japanese_knotweed_alliance.htm#prob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE