Jacket breathabilty mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Evening all,

I need a bit of advice from all you wonderful people that are good at making and modding things.

Basically I have a cheap Regatta packaway jacket which I use a fair amount.
It keeps the rain out fine, the problem is that even though it says its breathableon the frontit really isnt!!!
In fact its shocking!!

So my question is this, would I be able to buy something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eyelet-Pl..._Crafts_Embellishments_SM&hash=item4604a73f4b

Or perhaps this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TARPAULIN...763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27c748ae63

Or this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EYELET-TO..._Crafts_Embellishments_SM&hash=item5d2b023c47

And use it to make some sort of arm pit ventilation to help the heat escape without losing any of its waterproofness?
Do you think it would actually be worth the effort?

I would love to go out and buy lovely expensive technical fabric jacket but thats just not possible at the moment.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wouldn't have thought they'd help that much Steve, you might get a little bit of relief in the arm pits but you'll still struggle elsewhere. If you put some big zips in that might help, but putting any more holes in a waterproof jacket with either eyelets or zips can't be a good thing :)

At least it's starting to cool down a bit now, maybe save some pennies and treat yourself later on. Do you sweat much anyway? Sometimes there's bugger all you can do about it even with the latest Gore and eVent offerings. I don't do so bad but I have had and still use jackets which sound like yours, nothing wrong with them for keeping the rain out but breathability is where the money is. Don't get too suckered in to all the marketing either, some folk sweat and some don't, it's a bit like the backpacks with the fancy back systems, I get a sweaty back walking up a hill without a pack on.

If you can save for something decent I'd recommend Rabs eVent stuff, the Demand smock performed superbly on the TGO. Another option is to keep an eye out for some of the older stock of Goretex PacLite, they have a new range now so there's bargains to be had.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Cheers for the info Rich, I had a funny feeling that may just be the case mate!!
The pit zips work really well on my northface jacket now you mention it!! If that was as packable as my regatta one I wouldnt even be looking!!
Unfotrunately yes when I start movign hard the sweat drains off me!!
Can you reccomend any decent price packable jackets?
Pete says you may be joining us in Wales?
Be good to see ya pal

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
personally i would not bother to modify jacket as i think there will be little benefit, i have found that wearing a cheap poly-cotton type jacket with that type of jacket over the top helps a little, the inside of outer jacket still gets damp on inside but the poly-cotton barrier seems to help in not noticing it so much, and wear the outer jacket only when it is raining removing it immediately rain stops.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
If your looking for a lightweight packable waterproof I would suggest mountain hardwear, I got one in the snow and rock sales for about £75 about 6years back and only reproofed it now! Has pit zips, packs small and light. Fairly breathable, I personally would wait till the sales start otherwise you will be paying full price for the latest model, costwold also sells them.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Lightweight poncho might be an option mate. not terribly breathable but more circulation. AndyBB loaned me a cracker at a wet rough close meet and it was mint. I wasnt tabbing around with a load mind, just sat on my **** :D

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Lightweight poncho might be an option mate. not terribly breathable but more circulation. AndyBB loaned me a cracker at a wet rough close meet and it was mint. I wasnt tabbing around with a load mind, just sat on my **** :D

Yeah that was 1 of my initial thoughts mate.
But having checked at the time with my mentor (Teepee) lol he said the same as you, great for sitting around in pants for walking!!
I think I may listen to shewie, put up with it for now as is and then raid the january sales and buy a decent one!!
Cheers

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Does anyone rate the berghaus pack lite range? I quite like the look of the jackets and trousers they do!! Currently bidding on a extreme light jacket!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE