Jack Pyke English Oak Breatha-tex Stealth Bivi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Last edited:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Of course - its Exeter Surplus. I don't think they have many in stock. I have no idea what the breathability of them are like. Looking and feeling good to the touch is no accurate judge.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have reviewed one and found it very good with full waterproof performance and a good breathability. The build quality is good and the only down side is it is a tad heavier than some bags of a similar size.

I have not had any issues with any of Thatchreeds gear (apart from some buckles that broke on a pack) and find them generally fair value for their price.
I review quite a bit of their kit in my mag columns and while they are not the top of the quality tree they are not top of the prices either.
No conection with the company except I get sent stuff to write about - including the bivi bag!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have not had any issues with any of Thatchreeds gear (apart from some buckles that broke on a pack) and find them generally fair value for their price.
I review quite a bit of their kit in my mag columns and while they are not the top of the quality tree they are not top of the prices either.
No conection with the company except I get sent stuff to write about - including the bivi bag!

I've got to say, I have never looked at the bivvy bag in question, nor know anybody that has one.

That said, my experience of Thatchreed kit (mainly Webtex) has drawn me to one conclusion only- that it is absolutely shocking. At first glances, yes, it may seem reasonably durable. Maybe even after a couple of days use it still seems ok.

A few months down the line though it really shows its true colours- rucksack shoulder straps that have padding such poor quality that it goes completely flat. Stiching so bad that the straps fall of entirely, and rucksack lids remove themselves from the pack. Supposedly 1000d fabric quickly breaking down and becoming thin, flimsy, and losing its waterproof properties. Brittle buckles. Oh and for heavens sake don't make a foolish foray into their cheap Lowa boot imitations- so ill fitting its like wearing a pair of thin floppy leather wellies on your feet, just not as comfortable.

Mercifully, I’ve not been victim of this myself, well not directly. But on more than one occasion I have had to carry part of someone’s kit because their webtex pack has catastrophically failed, and been slowed down because somebody thought they were getting a bargain buying webtex boots only to find they made a serious error later.

I don't mind the whole 'you get what you pay for' argument, but when the kit is specifically aimed at people that need and rely on robust equipment that will not fail (because if it does it could have particularly serious consequences), then I think the shoddy quality that Thatchreed peddles to gullible people is downright irresponsible.

Mercifully fewer and fewer serious users fall into their deceitful trap these days as horror stories become wider known....

I'm sure that now I’ve had this rant, loads of people will post about what sterling service they have had from their thatchreed kit!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have heard of some folks having problems with some of their kit.
Al I can say is that I have not:) and when I test stuff it aint only for a few days!
Some of their kit is stuff I use - out of choice and before competitors models - every day.
Obviously we have different experiences.....

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Out of curiosity, what advantages would this have over the '90 pattern MVP/Goretex army surplus ones? Endy's does Grade 1 for £30.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE