Jack-By-The-Hedge Alliaria petiolata

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
JBTH seems to be EVERYWHERE down here, any roadside is littered along the side of the hedgerow with it like green straggly tour de france supporters waiting by the roadside.

What can be done with it beyond the typical - ' toss in Salad ' ??

Reactions: Xaro

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It's a relatively light garlic flavour (compared to Ramson) so it works well with more subtle flavour main dishes.
Stuffed into fish can work well for instance.

Reactions: Toddy

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
How much later are we talking ? I always seem to misjudge the timing of such things.
Now your asking! I've never really noted it before- I know I definitely collected and made some early September. I think they will be out earlier than that though. Once you have your eye in for the seed pods you'll see them everywhere and they are very easy to collect

Reactions: Toddy

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Now your asking! I've never really noted it before- I know I definitely collected and made some early September. I think they will be out earlier than that though. Once you have your eye in for the seed pods you'll see them everywhere and they are very easy to collect
Timing depends on where you are. For me in the south east harvest is between the second to last week of July and 1st or 2nd week of August. This is completely down to the amount of rain available at the start of the season. This year, I will be looking from June!!!!

@TeeDee where you are I would start watching at the start of August and look to be haversted in the same month.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Bought a house in January whose owner has let the garden grow wild and was full of them. Have spent a good 10 hours plus trying to pull them all up and i'm not done yet. Need to get to them by September when the seeds get dispersed as they spread so quick all my efforts so far would have been in vain if I leave even one alive.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Yep, got my first loads of seeds yesterday. Will be making a mustard. My last attempt was a bit gritty so will be spending more time with the pestle and mortar this time round.
I did notice, the garlic mustard in my area was badly afflicted with powdery mildew this year.
Has anyone used the roots for anything?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE