J.p. Peltonen sissipuukko m07

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I am awaiting the arrival of this knife, I've looked at it quite a bit over the years and I thought I'd treat myself. My only thought is how to sharpen it. I understand it is a flat grind so what is the best way to sharpen it when out? I always struggle with a secondary bevel and invariably mess it up. Any help would be welcome.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
If this were on it's way to me, and the factory edge was acceptable, I would just use it until it needed sharpening and then reprofile the edge to convex.
Do you know what the steel is?
If you are lucky enough for it to be the newer version, the steel will be 80CrV2, which will lend itself extremely well to a convexed edge.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 241

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
So is it just a case of facing the edge onto a stone and giving it a few circular strokes or is there a 'technique'. Feel a bit of a tit having to ask to be honest but I've always been a bit of a bird brain when sharpening came up.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If it is sharp when you get it, I'd just set up a strop (leather glued to wood works) and strop after use. Lay the flat bevel against the strop.

There are lots of techniques to sharpening, I think there is a sticky subject at the top of the blades section.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Just received the knife today. Contrary to the picture on the website it is a Scandi grind which poses less problems for me. I'll post some pics later.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
What are your initial thoughts now you have it in your hand.
I bought the Skrama which is sold through the same site and a great tool it is.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
It's nice to hold and solid, very solid. Very sharp from the start and the handle is nicer than I expected. Both leather and Kydex (theres no option you have to buy a leather sheath with the M07 that's why I bought the kydex) are nice sheaths and both feature the rubber block on top to lean your thumb against to extract the blade. They both hold the knife very well. @ mrcharly it does look like a secondary bevel but its just where the coating stops and the bare sharpened blade is visible.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Looked at the other two pukko on the site but rather like this one. Does look a little tactical though.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Aye it does. It designed by one of their officers 'Rangers'/'Commando' type chappie. It was based on the bayonet from one of their old weapons with modifications and improvements. J.P. Peltonen the officer in question did the design and they make so many per year in the Filson factory I think. It was out of stock for a long while then last week the site I went on got 20 in, I don't know how many are left. The Finns still have conscription and whilst the knife isn't 'issue' many of the guys buy it to wear in uniform. I read an interesting quote from a Finn who said something along the lines of 'in our culture every man should bring his own knife so the army don't issue them'. Nice way of thinking. Theres other threads on here about it including a scanned page from a magazine detailing the history etc. This is the smaller blade, I have dinky hands and the knife feels nicely weighted in my hand. All I have to do is find some time to get outdoors and use it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE