I've made a knife and am wondering about spacers?

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
It's a full tang blade made from a file.

I have made some wonderful scales from some oak that was once growing in my garden.

I'm going to use epoxy and brass pins to hold them on.

If I were to use a spacer what material should I use?
I think the knife would look good with a dark green spacer between the steel and the light coloured oak.

Would it complicate the epoxy process making the handle weaker? Are spacers best used when actually bolting the scales onto the blade?

Many thanks guys.

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
I have some thin blue leather I was thinking of using. Any good?
Should I soak the leather in epoxy first so it's saturated, that way the edges will sand easier when finishing the knife after assembly.

Anyone?

S

Something In The Woodshed

Vulcanised rubber is one solution and available here in dark green.
Some people clue everything up all at once but I usually epoxy the liners to the scales first and then drill the holes when its dry and then epoxy the handle and in your case brass pins, and then clamp it over night.
Adding scales certainly wont make the handle weaker.
Hope this makes sense.
M

S

Leather is a little tricky if its thin and if its shiny on one side it can be very slippy when using epoxy and can move when its clamped.
M

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Thanks for the feedback. For this knife I want to use all natural materials (And recycled.)

Here's a picture of the assembly so far. I put some leather in my vice sticking out a few mm and experimented with sanding it as it was and it went well.
PA250028.jpg

So I think I'm going to epoxy it all together at once and clamp it tight over night and then sand it all down in the morning. My scales are still overhanging the tang by a fraction so it should all come together nicely.

Stop me if you think I'm making a mistake!

S

That should work fine (thought the leather might of been a lot thinner). Ones the glue dries it should sand nicely but don't get it too hot..
Look forward to seeing the finish.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE