Isle of White

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jackdaw

I've finally had my fill of bats and newts this year and have decided to pack the family up and we're heading for the Isle of White.

Apart from some sea swimming and a trip to the local bat hospital we have nothing else planned.

If you've been before I would appreciate a heads up on what we should avoid and what we simply have to do whilst there.

Will check back after we've got there.

Many thanks,

Jack

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I live on the Island. I doubt my interests will be the same as you and your family, but by all means drop me a PM if you want and I'll do anything I can to help. :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Go fossil hunting. We found loads of fish teeth and spines.

There a little Dino museum in a barn (not dinosaur isle) which albeit a little homespun gives a great guided tour. The expert there will also ID fossils you find.

The big castle is well worth a visit. As is Osbourne house (both English heritage)

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Living On the Island we are spoilt for public footpaths and stunning scenery, also some of the old railway lines are cycle routes
If the weather is good Sandown Bay has good beaches and a watersports centre to try Windsurfing/Surfing/Sailing/kiteboarding/Si-ton-top Kayaking (Wightwaters)
Shanklin Chine is a beauty spot
Blackgang Chine is a theme park of sorts
Havenstreet Steam Railway is a nice step back in time
Robin Hill Country Park is worth a visit
Alum Bay with a Chairlift to the beach with coloured sands in the cliffs and from the beach a boat trip to the Needles
As said The Needles Battery is worth a look
Carisbrooke Castle and Osbourne House also
Sandown Zoo is not too bad
Research Fossil hunting areas......

and its the Isle of WIGHT

Come on down like Royston Vasey - you may never leave!

Paul

There are three types pf people
1Those from Yorkshire
2Those who wish they were from Yorkshire
3Those with no ambition at all

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
Quite a comprehensive list from Paul, but here are a few more suggestions:

Seaview Wildlife Encounter, imo the best animal attraction on the island with lots of daily talks, hands on interaction and feeding. The kids can even be a keeper for a day if prearranged.
Brading Roman Villa, a small but interesting site of a Roman villa with mosaic floors and plenty of finds etc.
Arreton Barns, great for a spot of lunch and a browse around the craft shops (including a glassblower, a leatherworker & a woodturner).
Ventnor Botanical Gardens is a lovely leafy escape from the crowds and in good condition at this time of year.

As with everywhere, it's not until you get off the beaten track that you find all the hidden gems, so my advice would be to explore some of the small coves and bays around the coast and you might just get a beach to yourself. Imo, the island's best quality is it's beauty.
There's lots to do, much of it tourist orientated, just expect things to be smaller, slower paced and more antiquated than the north island!

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have a cycle route that we do every year, only one proper hill, maybe 15 pubs my route gets more fuzzy the further it goes along.

Jackdaw

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

We're back now and had a great time. However, we didn't do half of the things we had intended to. That said, we did do:

1. Robin Hill Park
2. Dinosaur Isle
3. Visit to the bat hospital in Sandown (I'm an ecologist and the kids were pestering me to see a bat up close)
4. Lots of walking around the coast and swimming in the see

My one regret was not finding a fossil whilst I was there. We had a couple of days where the kids were poorly and before we new it we had no time left. We'll be back next year and try and get more things done off your lists.

Jack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE