Isle of Skye

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 30, 2013
Newcastle
Hi there,

new to the site and was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to go on the Isle of Skye, looking to do some serious walking and camp up for the night. going mid/late febuary so not planning on going up any munroes or anywhere which could be dangerous this time of year

thanks in advance

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum.
HWMBLT camped up there last year on an excellent site; I'll ask him to post details in the morning, but there's bound to be a load of other folks know the place well :)

cheers,
Toddy

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Mark

Skye is a bit of a wash out in the winter being so close to the sea unless you live local and can catch a good day. If your up for a good walk the Trotternish is a safe option although not always in Feb/Mar. Don't forget it's also still dark by seven if your desperate to camp.

I would go somewhere else (or stay in a bunkhouse) and comeback to Skye in May as there is often a settled period of weather and it is pre-midge season. Most people attempt a traverse of the Cullin in this period. Welcome to the forum.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Trotternish +1
You can walk below the ridge near.the start at the north. There's a cracking bothy at the far north Durnish peninsula iirc. Called the lookout. Watch the sea cliffs up near that bothy. A path goes under the cliffs but I've seen chunks of rock the size of mini buses drop off and travel over 50m down the beach and out into the sea!!!
Can walk round coast from Elgol to loch corriusk. Nice loch and there's a shorter walk round the back of the hill back. A bit of a steep sloping bad step on coastal path though. Another gd bothy halfway on that route. You cld walk through the glens and passes to Sligacgan too from Elgol. Might be ok weather depending.

Jan 30, 2013
Newcastle
Thanks for your responses I'll have a look at your suggestions, I'm pretty flexible about it and may look to another destination if we must but I'd like somewhere in scotland

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
We went to watch Prometheus in 3D a few weeks back now.
Stunning! The 3D I remember as a kid was those blue and red cardboard glasses from the tony tiger frosties box!
But I think it was the old man of stor on skye which was in the film. You'll have to take some photos if you go there.
Oh, and keep your eyes peeled for a cave with paintings in it.....;)

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
A nice circuit is to get to Sligachan, and then walk down the glen to Camasunary (it's 13 miles by my ageing memory). Camasunary is a lovely spot. Stay in the bothy, light a fire from driftwood, and listen to the wind. Next day, follow the coast around to Coruisk via the Bad Step (not as bad as it sounds, but will need some caution in bad weather), pause in Coruisk to admire the Cuillins, and then head back along the coast again. You will come across a broad plateau leading to Glenbrittle. Cross it, ideally, at night, under a full moon, while thinking of An American Werewolf in London. If the hostel is closed, camp in the wood. Next day, head up over the ridge back to Sligachan, and book yourself in for a well-earned bath, and a few drams around the fire. Simples.

Uthred

Jan 13, 2013
Somerset
A nice circuit is to get to Sligachan, and then walk down the glen to Camasunary (it's 13 miles by my ageing memory). Camasunary is a lovely spot. Stay in the bothy, light a fire from driftwood, and listen to the wind. Next day, follow the coast around to Coruisk via the Bad Step (not as bad as it sounds, but will need some caution in bad weather), pause in Coruisk to admire the Cuillins, and then head back along the coast again. You will come across a broad plateau leading to Glenbrittle. Cross it, ideally, at night, under a full moon, while thinking of An American Werewolf in London. If the hostel is closed, camp in the wood. Next day, head up over the ridge back to Sligachan, and book yourself in for a well-earned bath, and a few drams around the fire. Simples.
That Does sound Nice! I'm Rough Camping with a few friends on Sky in May for a long weekend from our RIB'S which we'll Running up from Oban....got someone local to show us round but I will mention your pick,cheers!

Jan 30, 2013
Newcastle
That sounds like a nice route, I have sent it to my friends and they like it so think I'll give it a try thanks, just need to get my last few bits of kit and should be good to go.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
hi Mark88,

not sure if you have decided yet (or even if you've already set off on your trip!), but if you want a low level backup in case of mist (Skye being the 'Misty Isle' and all...) route, you could circuit Loch Coruisk?
there is the added excitement of the ferry trip to the start, or a walk round past Camasunary.

link to a map here -
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/map4_18sk.shtml

if the weather is kind, you could strike out up Sgurr Dubh Beag, on over Sgurr Dubh Mor, toward Sgurr Thearlaich,
when you get to the saddle just before Sgurr Thearlaich turn east and head down toward Coire an Lochain.
i camped on the tiny, 2 man tent sized patch of grass...
awesome solitary place to be.
most walkers / climbers are on the west side of the ridge, so you probably won't see many people, if anyone :)

somewhere i have a couple of pics, i'll see if i can dig them out and post.

hope you have a window in the weather, can be so ethereal up there if the mist clears and the rain stops for a bit :goodluck:

austin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE