Isle of Jura 10 year old

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
Hi Guys

I dont know if this is a bargain or not but the Co-op are selling bottles of Isle of Jura 10 year old for £18. They list the usual price at £28.

I mention this as it may be time to start putting something aside for christmas or with dads day looming you never know!

Max

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
They often do and I love them for it :) A great whiskey for a great price. I paid £15 not long back for one.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
+ 1

its recommended in the Raikes household too!,....

very easy sipping without water,....

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Oh I wish you didn't tell me that, I have to go past a co-op on the way home and can't resist a bargain. Which is why I've got about 6 of them in the cupboard already...

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
yeah, Jura is often on sale at a similar price. It might have been £28 once.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Interesting whisky, Jura. You very often see it passed around the campfire at Scottish BCUK meetups. For some reason it seems particularly popular amongst 'outdoor' people, whether Scots, English or Welsh.

I know that in blind taste tests Macallan is hard to beat, but in all homesty I think Jura is better. The Islay malts are strongly peated but a bit medicinal. Jura, however, has enough peat to be interesting but a great smoothness and warmth.

It's worth going to the distillery's website and signing up as a 'Diurach' (Gaelic for a Jura Islander). You get a free dram, on the condition you collect it at the pub on Jura...

http://www.isleofjura.com/AgeCheck.aspx?ReturnURL=/distillery/classic-bottlings/diurachs-own-16.aspx

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Macallan seems to be especially popular with folk in the forces and ex-forces. Is it popular in the mess? I reckon Jura is mainly popular because it's half decent and cheap. I reckon it lacks high notes although has a good body.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Macallan seems to be especially popular with folk in the forces and ex-forces. Is it popular in the mess? I reckon Jura is mainly popular because it's half decent and cheap. I reckon it lacks high notes although has a good body.

Don't know about real soldiers, but in the Officer Cadets mess at Aberdeen University most folk just drank blended whisky: i.e., Famous Grouse. Interestingly Grouse is the bestselling blend in Scotland. In England the bestseller is/was Bells.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Jura is my favourite malt. At least it was until I got so drunk at a party on Knoydart that I fell in a river and got a quite spectacular black eye :p

I don't usually drink it like that, but it does go down smooth. My father-in-law drinks McCallan, and he's an old squaddie. Personally I think it's fire-water.

Next time I go to a party on Knoydart, I'll be on the shandy.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Years ago, when sailing round the western isles of Scotland, we moored in Jura. I went on a distillery tour and it's been one of favourite malts since.
Thanks for the heads up :)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Look out for Jura Superstition, it might sound like an aftershave but it's so much nicer than the regular Jura.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
^

Yes, the Jura "expressions" that have come out over the last decade or so have proved to be a good investment, at least taste-wise. Lovely stuff but even the basic 10 yo is a nice drop and a bargain at the price often sold by the supermarkets. I bought one from the Co-op in Piltlochry last week when the wife and I were having a trauchle through the Atholl Estate for a week or so. We had to rush back and replenish before the week was out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE