Is this tinder fungus?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Found this today on a birch tree:

4e6bcd89.jpg

Is this the famous tinder fungus? If so, should I harvest the lot or just hack off a chunk?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
"Tinder fungus" usually refers to Hoof fungus (Fomes fomentarius). What you've got there looks like a very old and odd-shaped Birch Polypore (Piptoporous betulinus.) When younger, this fungus also has many uses...

You are unlikely to find Hoof Fungus in Sussex. I've only ever seen it once, and that was in the Highlands of Scotland. It's more common up north.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
It’s better than that spandit .
That looks more like a burr to me. It certainly looks nothing like a Fomes fomentarius commonly called the Tinder Fungus,or Horses Hoof Fungus,it also looks nothing like a Piptoporous betulinus or Razor Strop. The bracket fungi are as common as muck round here, if you want a horses hoof for some Amadou just give me a shout.
Have a quick look at the images on the Hunting for burr Thread by mrcairney.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
It’s better than that spandit .
That looks more like a burr to me. It certainly looks nothing like a Fomes fomentarius commonly called the Tinder Fungus,or Horses Hoof Fungus,it also looks nothing like a Piptoporous betulinus or Razor Strop. The bracket fungi are as common as muck round here, if you want a horses hoof for some Amadou just give me a shout.
Have a quick look at the images on the Hunting for burr Thread by mrcairney.

I does look like an old Razor Strop, or maybe like two....but I'm willing to believe it something else. However, I don't know what the word "Burr" refers to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr

Burr may refer to:

Things

Bur, type of seed or fruit with short, stiff bristles or hooks
The Burr distribution, continuous probability distribution
A burr (metal), deformation of metal wherein a raised edge forms on a metal part which has been machined
A burr (cutter), small cutter used in rotary tools for metalworking
A burr puzzle, type of interlocking mechanical puzzle
Burr (novel), book about Aaron Burr by Gore Vidal
Burr, or Borr, god of Norse Mythology
British spelling for burl, deformed grain growth in trees.
Any English regional accent with a guttural R, such as the Northumberland burr
Burr, abbreviation for the orchid genus Burrageara
Burr Truss, architectural feature often used in covered bridges
Burr (crater), crater on Callisto
A Dental drill
Gucci Mane says "Burr!"

?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
That is a Birch birl, look at the tree, is it still fine a alive? to harvest that would most probably mean killing the tree, can you hide it under a braken screen, then just keep an eye on it, or contact the owner of the land\wood and ask if you can remove the tree to get the burl,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE