Is this birdsfoot trefoil?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It surely looked like it to me. I have seen it before in wild meadows and it looks very similar. Saw this plant today on a salt marsh in very large swathes...never seen birdsfoot trefoil grow like that so I thought I would ask

Heres the pic

Birdsfoot trefoil? by British Red, on Flickr

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A good test is to pick a piece. If the stem is hollow, it is Marsh Birdsfoot Trefoil (sometimes called Greater BT) rather than the ordinary stuff. Dragon's Teeth is rare in britain.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
aaaah - i'll do that next time I'm there. It certainly was in the marsh - mixed with big lumps of sea lavender.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
TD has a good point. I can't say for certain what it is, because I don't know. My botany is improving, but nowhere near reliable yet, especially in awkward groups like peaflowers

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fun learning though. I moved here last year - from broad leafed wood and downland to salt marsh. Its such a different environment that its like starting again around here.

Thats wonderful though....lots of new and interesting things to see and learn - no buzzards - but marsh harriers and hen harriers. No Roe deer - but mink and badger galore - and more hares than you can shake a stick at. Not a ramsom in sight - but tonnes of marsh mallow and horse radish.

New stuff is great!

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
It looks like it might be. Just completed a week of field trips doing plant,Butterfly and dragonfly ID my brain is still sorting all the information, but it was great fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE