Is this a basha?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DMBackpacker

Aug 13, 2004
Evanston IL

leon-1

Nope this is not a basha, it is what is normally referred to as a KIP sheet (Kit Individual Protection Sheet), the cord in it is white and similair to paracord, but nowhere near as good and the pegs are aluminium.

They are supposed to be used as covers for small slit trenches, but end up being used for allsorts :eek:):

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi DMB,

It's not a basha in the strictest sense of the word.
Ive got a feeling that this is a KIP Kit Individual Protection. it comes in a heat sealed pouch and features a waterproof sheet a length of nylon cord, and some aluminium tube cut into stakes.

It was issued to the British Armed Forces enabling them to add a roof to a trench or foxhole which gave and increased measure of protection from indirect fire weapons NBC agents and being run over by tanks.

The way it worked wasas follows: you dug your fox hole. Placed the pegs either side ran the cord zig zag fashion from peg to peg placed the waterproof sheet ontop of the taught cord.
then placed the spoil from the fox hole ontop of the sheet creating an earthen roof.

Great in theory however in practice it would rain ( as it does a lot in Northern europe) the soil would absorb water and increase in weight and then collapse on the occupants of the trench.

The MOD ( ministry of defence) sold a load off with the end of the cold war.

Hope this helps.

I seem to remember a thread on here about how useful the kit was for making a Basha of improvised shelter. try the search facility using KIP as the search parameter.

cheers

John

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yep its a KIP sheet - Kit individual protection - its a small kit orginally designed by the army to be used as a roof for slit trenches.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
All the below are correct and I'd just like to add that they make c*r*a*p basha's.... they are either way to big or if folded then way to small but more importantly they have no eyelets. They are heavy and basically pretty horrid.

On the other hand, they are very cheap (they've got them at our local market for about three quid and in a real emergency they're better than nothing....having said that if I was actually carrying one in an emergency I'd have to wonder why I was carrying it and not a proper basha sheet!!!!

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
bambodoggy said:
All the below are correct and I'd just like to add that they make c*r*a*p basha's.... they are either way to big or if folded then way to small but more importantly they have no eyelets. They are heavy and basically pretty horrid.

On the other hand, they are very cheap (they've got them at our local market for about three quid and in a real emergency they're better than nothing....having said that if I was actually carrying one in an emergency I'd have to wonder why I was carrying it and not a proper basha sheet!!!!

They do make pretty good one-man groundsheet. At a bargain basement price too

Cheers,
Simon

DMBackpacker

Aug 13, 2004
Evanston IL
Great in theory however in practice it would rain ( as it does a lot in Northern europe) the soil would absorb water and increase in weight and then collapse on the occupants of the trench.

The MOD ( ministry of defence) sold a load off with the end of the cold war.

Maybe that's why they're so cheap! :)
Thanks for the info everyone!
Cheers

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
They are crap as bashas only good if there is a chemical weapons attack as they are treated to block chemical agents! Never tried them out during one though!

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Jakunen,

The bag is the best place for the KIP, unless you want to dig a big hole and put it over the top. It works well for what it was designed for, spent some time under one but not much use as anything else unless you use it as a ground sheet as they are cheap.

Brian

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Lionheart3.jpg

sleeping bays - these extensions to the trench are covered by a latticed nylon cord pegged into the soil about 18' below ground level, and supports an IPK (Individual Protection Sheet) sheet, which itself forms the roof to the sleeping bay. 18' to 2' of dirt is flung on top of this so that it is flush with ground level. (see diagram) Apparently, a properly dug IPK system can be driven over by a tank without collapsing - but I notice that everyone sleeps in these feet-first.
source:http://www.gcompany.org.uk/1984 Annual Camp.htm

Looks like it is specifically designed for a sleeping bay extension to an open foxhole. The method described looks pretty secure but if flung up over a wide foxhole would easily collapse. I think the part about 'feet first' says it all :)

IPK-KIT.jpg

source:http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com

Only official reference I found was:
1991:04706 Individual protection kit Lt Kevin M Walker Infantry (USA)

Describes the British Army's KIP (kit, individual protection) for providing an overhead shelter for a foxhole. A strong cord, tightly criss-crossed over the position by stakes, supports a tarpaulin which in turn supports an earthen ceiling of up to 27 inches. The KIP weighs under 2lbs, and generated interest among US ANG soldiers on an exchange visit.

Category Codes: H5
source: Lancaster Index to Defence and International Security Literature

193.gif

This photo shows the name on the bag "Individual Protection Kit

Looks like everyone is right :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE