Is there an entomologist in the house?

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I found this on YouTube and it got me wondering, could the Scottish midge go from being a nuisance to nutrition for Bushcrrafters?
[video]https://youtu.be/RJjqAajbrPE[/video]

In an attempt to reduce the gag factor would boiling then straining the broth be better than leaving all the crunchy bits in ?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You rang? :)

Well, I suppose you could eat them. There's certainly no shortage of them. However I'm not sure how nutritious they would really be. Better than nothing I suppose but you would have to be pretty desperate. Flavour probably wouldn't be up to much.

Then again, ground up and mixed with flour as a protein additive. Maybe. Midge cakes. An easy way to do it would be to make some dough as per bannock and let them get stuck to the surface, then knead to mix them in, and repeat until you have your desired midge density in the dough. Then cook as per normal bannock. You could flavour it with whatever you liked.

I'm still not sure it would be worth it though.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Woodlice eaten raw are a cure for indigestion, if you eat a good handful. It works too, although it tastes awful.

However, fried with some olive oil and garlic they are much nicer, tasting similar to prawns. That won't cure your indigestion though :)

I'll have to remember that, the next time I have a dodgy ruby HM. :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Id say I was a bit of an amateur entomologyst, as Im a fly fisherman. Eating midges though......not really my thing.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
In Africa when there are big hatches of mossi's some natives gather them and form them into a kunga cake. Supposedly a good protein boost.
I have heard of some enterprising folk in the Highlands up here who are selling jars of midge that they catch in those midge-eaters as a fertiliser.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

matt_uk

Oct 16, 2015
Sutton Coldfield
Having eaten half a slug the other day in a potato the idea of midgie cake is not so bad.

I'm so glad that breakfast is far behind me and lunch not for a good while!

As regards midge burger .. I'd not be adverse... seems poetic justice and I think with a big of bacon fat I could be tempted :D Not sure what you'd use to pick the wings out of your teeth mind...

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I'm not quite mentally ready for the 100% midge patty but reckon some mashed in with a normal burger has got to be worth a try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE