Is there a glimmer of sense appearing on the horison at last?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh I hope not; really I do.
We need technical innovation to develop clean renewable energy; if it needs this type of thing to kick start the process, so be it.

However, I firmly suspect that the oil and nuclear industries will try every kind of sabotage they can to persuade folks that it's the green energy that the reason the bills are increasing instead of corporate greed.

M

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
These are a terrible ugly eyesore. With have had wind farms installed all over the Wirral peninsula, and the surrounding coast. I won't comment on the political on goings in the background, as I've been banned for less.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
However, I firmly suspect that the oil and nuclear industries will try every kind of sabotage they can to persuade folks that it's the green energy that the reason the bills are increasing instead of corporate greed.

M

Getting political?;) The large corporation that was going to build the wind turbines generates power from nuclear, coal, gas as well as renewbles so that's not the case.

Apart from local oppersition, technical challenges etc, it seems it getting hold of finance was a big problem which is hardly surprising at the moment.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I much prefer it on the sea than in the countryside. At the end of the day fossil fuels will not last for ever and energy security is something we should be taking more seriously. Some sacrifices unfortunately have to be made....

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Actually, bills are increasing because we're all paying huge add-on costs for "green" power that is massively ineffective and totally uneconomic, even with the huge subsidies being poured in by government (which we're also paying for via taxes, by the way................) Finances are increasingly more difficult to come by - not because of the current economic climate, but because there is an increasing possibility that governmental green subsidies might be withdrawn in the future.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Call my cynical Slowworm, but how better to totally derail a project than to have it run by the opposition ?

That's business, not politics.

Tell you this though; I firmly suspect our descendants will look back on our greedy wastefulness with anger and frustration.
Since the start of this century alone the amount of fossil fuel 'rubbish' that we created and then threw away is an appalling indictment on our society.

Roman, medieval and Victorian middens were at least mostly filled with organic debris. Ours will still be there in all their plastic rich glory :rolleyes: 100,000 years into the future.

cheers,
Toddy

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
surely every new house should be built with solar panels for electric and heating water? that would help massivly

A fair point, on the face of it. But I wonder at the whole-life cost (both financial and environmental of it is?)

Same sort of argument could be made for electric cars. "Green" they may be, but the electricity has to come from somewhere!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Call my cynical Slowworm, but how better to totally derail a project than to have it run by the opposition ?

It wasn't though, the company, like many of the large energy companies, produces a large amount of energy from renewables. And they would have spent millions on the planning app and research.

The costs may have risen due to the recent comments from the politicians, which is where politics gets involved. So if you want to blame someone...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah :sigh: let's not go there.

There's a real push in Scotland to be 100% by 2030. We're fortunate though in that we do have a lot of water.....I often think we really need to do more about the tidal energies though. In and out it goes, regular as clockwork, every single day of the year. Britain has an enormous coastline, and every tidal river is potentially a power station in the making.
I have friends who run all their electricity from a wee burn. It's not enough for things like a washing machine or a big freezer, but it trickle charges batteries for lights (leds are great things :) ) and to charge mobile phones and laptops. Other folks use windmills to pump well water to butts and animal troughs.
Little by little there is more and more use of such technologies.
Cycle power is much underused I think. All those people doing Spin classes could really be doing something useful :D

cheers,
M

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I would be happier with a bit more emphasis on saving energy to be honest. I simply can't see England being able to generate most of our energy from renewables unless we dramatically cut back our use, and there's no sign of that.

I remember having a discussion with a group of very pro-renewable bods and when I asked them how much roof insulation they had not one even had the recommended amount and some had none.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
A fair point, on the face of it. But I wonder at the whole-life cost (both financial and environmental of it is?)

Same sort of argument could be made for electric cars. "Green" they may be, but the electricity has to come from somewhere!

I know its a tough pill to swallow but you are comparing emerging technologies against an extremely cheap energy dense material formed over thousands of years. What do you think the price of that will become when 10+ billion people are fighting over it? Or when some.other region of the world decide they no.longer want to supply us with oil or when we have to pay the real cost of oil with global warming/ pollution recovery? Affordable investment now may be better than panic later and no time to react.

On electric cars you have to think about the efficiency of the system. Even after 100 years of development the internal combustion engine and drive train are horendously inefficient. In a few years people will look back and say, you wasted energy when the car wasn't even moving?

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
My electricity bill has just gone down by £11 a month from £35 to £24... Because we took the decision to actually use less, so we cut it by 30%.

Now if everyone did the same we could have 30% less consumption of all that it takes to make electricity.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The sea bottom was also less favourable to the Array and the costs would have been much greater.

udamiano

On a new journey
A lot more work on new technologies still needs to be done until we have the level of efficiency to make it a viable contender to fossil fuels, as well as the associated technologies such as battery efficiency and such. I think we will get there, but not sadly for a while yet. Personally I still think fusion as opposed to fission reactors are the future if we can just get the technology unlocked to work for us.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
A lot more work on new technologies still needs to be done until we have the level of efficiency to make it a viable contender to fossil fuels, as well as the associated technologies such as battery efficiency and such. I think we will get there, but not sadly for a while yet. Personally I still think fusion as opposed to fission reactors are the future if we can just get the technology unlocked to work for us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24429621

one day........

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
daft really there's no space for anything like solar power stations or wind farms, I don't understand why we have what must be thousands of square kilometres of roof area in towns and cities that could have solar panels on, I know that they are only moderately effective on non-South facing roofs but quantity can make up for that

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
How much energy do streetlights use? I think there are too many and do they really need to be switched on at 2i n the morning

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
daft really there's no space for anything like solar power stations or wind farms, I don't understand why we have what must be thousands of square kilometres of roof area in towns and cities that could have solar panels on, I know that they are only moderately effective on non-South facing roofs but quantity can make up for that

Do some research on the effectiveness of solar power and come back with the results. Solar power just won't cut it in the UK, simple as that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE