Is the Tilley T4 old hat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm coming up to my annual argument as to which of my two favourite hats I take away for my summer travels. Thinning hair makes a hat a necessity when canoeing and walking. As a matter of principle I never take two bit of kit when one will do and I have only one head so, will it be the Tilley T4 or the cotton peaked cap?

The Tilley
+ It has bags of character. I bought it second hand from Two dogs and paid extra for the stains and crumples.
+It shades my eyes from sun and keeps rain off my glasses
+It is robust and unlikely to give up the ghost before I do.
+It has a cord to stop it blowing in the wind.
+It works well with a mossie net
+ It's green and matches all my other clothes
+ I think I look rather good in it

- It is a cliche and I look like all the other mostly oldish men who wear them to demonstrate that can throw £65 away on a hat and/or want to look a regular outdoorsman
- I never know what to do with it in the tent and it usually ends up sticking on a walking pole outside so as to be wet in the morning
-The broad brim gets in the way when I'm carrying a pack or driving
- It doesn't work with a hooded coat
- seems a bit out of place in an urban setting

The Cap
+ It keeps the sun out of my eyes and the rain off my glasses
+It folds up and goes in a pocket of a coat or bag
+It doesn't look like a fashion statement and doesn't look out of place anywhere
+ it works with a hooded jacket and when driving

-Not much good in the rain
- Doesn't work so well with a mossie net
-The wind catches under the peak and blows it off
- It's blue

Which one would you take? Or have you a better idea?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
My daughter paid me a surprise visit at the allotment a couple of weeks ago. I was, as is often the case nattering to someone on another plot and her account went, " you weren't on your allotments, so I looked about and saw this old chap wearing a silly hat and thought Oh God, please no!"
Needless to say I had on my Tilley hat and given those comments, fully intend to wear it more often.
I've had mine over twenty years and love it!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Tilley, without a doubt. I find that just flicking the back of the brim up at a "jaunty angle" gets it nicely out of the way of my pack and whilst driving but it's just as easy to take it off in the car. If you're wearing a Tilley surely you can just ignore the hood on your jacket?

And cliches become cliches for a very good reason :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I really worry about people who wear a flat cap or other hat in a car that has a roof and/or a heating system due to the many I have met on the road who can't drive:banghead: they are up there with the girl who overtook us while doing her mascara only for us to pass her after she had rear ended another car and was clutching her eye....
But for most travel a tilley type hat is most beneficial due to it's ability to keep the sun off the back of the neck, ears and brow while letting your head breathe.

Rob.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wear a hat in the car as it acts as a very easily adjusted (front and side) sun visor and - as I always have the widow open - keeps the wind of my baldy head!

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Tilley hat. There will always be a time and a place for the flat cap. But you know you can't go wrong with your Tilley this summer, come rain or shine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE