Is sleeping without a shelter safe for health?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Define "shelter" - even the clothing you stand in shelters you to some degree....
Kipping out in the buff could prove less than comfortable....
A bivvi bag is a shelter from rain and dew: a sleeping bag is shelter from the cold ... how far are you meaning to go?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Define "shelter" - even the clothing you stand in shelters you to some degree....
A bivvi bag is a shelter from rain and dew: a sleeping bag is shelter from the cold ... how far are you meaning to go?

After reading the posts mentioning tarps and umbrellas, I was wondering the same thing.

bearbait

As well a bivi bag being a shelter from rain and dew it is my experience that a bivi bag will will "add" maybe half a season or so to your sleeping bag/blanket/whatever by virtue of the still air it traps next to you/your bag, especially noticeable if bivi-ing in an an exposed or windy place.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Some days are diamonds and some days are dirt.
Most of that depends on whether I get a good (aka undisturbed) night's sleep.
I plan to be covered up = snug, if not cozy.
I can't see as I'd be harmed by sprawling in the dead leaves, just uncomfortable.

It's very buggy and beary in our summer months but at least we have very long warm days.
Pretty dark by suppertime now. On the solstice, the sun will go behind the mountains to my West,
earliest I've noted was 1:52PM = long dark evenings.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
When a person was lost on the hills or wherever years ago they were often, when found, said to be suffering from exposure. This was never defined and I still don't know what it means, hypothermia being the only thing I can think of as dangerous if you are in the open. Sunburn as well I suppose.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When a person was lost on the hills or wherever years ago they were often, when found, said to be suffering from exposure. This was never defined and I still don't know what it means, hypothermia being the only thing I can think of as dangerous if you are in the open. Sunburn as well I suppose.

Or heat stroke.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire

Naked outdoor pursuits... there is a fella on YouTube that has done just that (well, he wore a loin cloth for decency) and not just in the summer months... he went out in minus conditions naked and survived quite well, although not exactly comfortably.

The human race has spent most of its existence living outdoors and its survived, but John is right, define shelter? Are you going to sleep under a tree? That is shelter. In a hollow on a hillside? Arguably shelter. Even a loin cloth is technically shelter.

Personal opinion, unless you know what you're doing, no shelter can lead to a very uncomfortable night. You'll likely survive the night, but you're not going to be a happy bunny in the morning. I love laying back looking up at the stars, or even the clouds... but at the same time I love wrapping a blanket round me and sleeping in a hammock. Might be a tad difficult on Dartmoor with a hammock though :rolleyes:

Lancer165l

Jul 28, 2016
Windermere
Several years in my youth as a soldier, sleeping in a hollow, or shell scrape, or under a poncho in the days before gore tex, did me no harm.
Once we could get hold of arctic sleeping bag covers (pu coated nylon) that was a game changer, and when MVP (gore tex) bivi bags came in it was a quantum leap in comfort.

Now I'm 61 I would not be tempted,but I was camping out in a tent last week!

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yes it is. You need to be agile enough to be able to pick yourself up from the ground in the morning.
:)

Funny thing is that if I kneel down to retrieve a dropped something it is an effort to stand up but if I am sleeping in a sleeping bag in a tent as I was doing at a, non-bushcraft, meet at the beginning of this September I can be out and up with no effort. Sometimes with some urgency as older members will understand.

rancid badger

Several years in my youth as a soldier, sleeping in a hollow, or shell scrape, or under a poncho in the days before gore tex, did me no harm.
Once we could get hold of arctic sleeping bag covers (pu coated nylon) that was a game changer, and when MVP (gore tex) bivi bags came in it was a quantum leap in comfort.

Now I'm 61 I would not be tempted,but I was camping out in a tent last week!

What he said apart from the age bit, more than several years and the not being "tempted".

These days I'll happily sleep outside with a "sleep system" consisting of an MVP bag, sleeping bag and thermarest mat, simply finding some sort of natural shelter to compliment what I carry in these situations but I'm only 54!;)

Steve

Sep 22, 2016
Dartford
Oh... I clearly underestimated how many people would reply :Wow: I expected one maybe two answers but... wow.

The reason I asked that is because falling asleep with an open window in November (yes, I rememeber I've said September-October but that's different) is enough for me to feel under the weather the next day or even fall sick.

Define "shelter" - even the clothing you stand in shelters you to some degree...
A tent.

Do we live in the same country? :lmao:

I did say when there's no risk. ;) I was not even considering rainy days.:22: Which are... probable. Very probable. But less than desirable.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have not used a tent in years - all my trips are now tarp based in all seasons and weathers ... never felt healthier....

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have not used a tent in years - all my trips are now tarp based in all seasons and weathers ... never felt healthier....

Me too. Last time I used a tent was I think 1990. I like the fact you feel like sleeping out more than a tent and are under the stars

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE