is it OK to shave a Lurcher ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
got the pup booked in to be shaved tomorrow,.......just a thought before i take her there, she's a standard poodle / whippett cross, i'm assuming it is OK to get her shaved ? anything i should look out for or know about ?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
short back and sides i reckon, she's just too hot in this weather.

strangely for a lurcher, she keeps jumping in the sea to cool down.....weird, must be the poodle in her

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I only had one, several years ago... But it was truly 'nuts'

It swiped the bacon from my hand, running between me and the grill. Hogged the bed to the extent I fell off. Did several dozen laps of the sofa on a daily basis. Never a dull day with a lurcher.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Too true mate ! this ones as mad as a box of frogs ! if she's not doing 40 mph she's sleeping ! she just runs and runs for the sheer pleasure of it, lovely to see mind and very fast !

she's also the scruffiest dog in the whole wide world !....ever !! ( but i love her :) )

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Aren't poodles a type of gun dog originally that had to swim to collect the prey like retrievers?? I heard that they are good swimmers and the origins of shaving them is to improve their swimming whilst the bit of fur left are around the joints and important areas which need to be kept warm to perform and keep the dog healthy.

I think that was from the BBC's Cruft shows a number of years ago so might be wrong or mis-remembered.

I know people who's dogs hate water but will walk into the shallows and lie in it to cool or will walk around up to their torso in the water. I think dogs will always sort out the overheating problem for themselves. Although you might not like it when your lurcher decides to lie in a muddy puddle or stinking ditch because that was the only place to cool down in. Perhaps a shave is a good idea.

I like the sound of your dog. Whippet for speed, hunting instinct and sighting aspects then a poodle for intelligence, swimming and the retrieval aspect of hunting dogs (also scenting should be good from the poodle I think). Might make a good dog to have.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i thought the classic standard poodle was used to hunt wolves in the olden days, and the cut of the coat was to protect it's chest as it went through undergrowth etc, 'course i could be completely wrong....barking up the wrong tree in fact ! LOL ! :)

here she is.......meet Charles Boker

walk9.jpg

walk8.jpg

Berk

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2011
Northants
My mother has a bearded collie/standard poodle X, she gets taken to the hairdressers regularly for a cut (the bitch, not my mother), as otherwise she looks more like a small black bear than a dog. She also has a standard poodle, luckily she keeps her fellah from getting him the 'proper' poodle cut, although he does have a pouff of hair on top (the dog, not her fellah).I also highly dispute the intelligent poodle bit, her poodle is the stupidest creature I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There are always exceptions to the rule in any breed Berk. AFAIK Poodles are commonly intelligent but daft. By that I mean they can be easily trained but still do daft things that don't make sense in any way.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i know one thing....charles Boker will steal absolutely anything she can !! socks, food, telephone directory, apples, you name it, she'll nick it ! don't know if thats the Poodle or Whippett in her

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Do you work it or not?
That long hair is perfect protection for them if they end up chasing a bunny through gorse, brambles, etc.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
no, i've not started working her yet and TBH i wouldn't do it seriously, if she ever runs a bunny and brings it back, all well and good but.....

one thing i've noticed is if she is running with another smaller dog, she'll run just beside and slightly behind it and put her head / mouth over the back of the other dogs neck, she does't bite but it looks like the intent is there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE