Is it ok to cull in this manner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I got in trouble before on here for magpie hating... but it seems my cat has a disregard for bushcrafter sentimentality.
ca98f3adf470c0d079bc0d13f245fb10.jpg

72303363bfec1de59595e00c78003fef.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can't stand cats, but that one has something to commend it ;)

Can't abide magpies, they are on the general licence for a reason. Keep culling.

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
My cat couldn't catch a thing but he'd a master at getting inside carrier bags and general containers. Found him laid on his back looking smug after consuming 3 1/2 large chocolate muffins once....

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Cats are awesome. When I lived out in the desert of the southwest we had serious rat and mice problems and putting out food so some stray cats would call it home was the only thing which brought the problem under control. The county would distribute pamphlets of the dozen or so major diseases that the local rodents carried, including the deadliest form of hanta and the bubonic plague.

After a while the rats and mice were all gone so they went after the gophers.

When the gophers were exterminated they went after birds and the local jackrabbits (a large desert hare). We'd find jackrabbit debris and feathers scattered about. For some reason they tended to not eat the jackrabbit's head, so we would occasionally find a hare's head with the spinal column attached laying here and there.

Last edited:

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
We feed the birds in our garden. Our intention was to feed the small birds (ha!) but the crows and jackdaws seem to have taken over. A couple of magpies also come in and I have been surprised how aggressive they are with the other birds. One of the jackdaws that comes in regularly (I know its the same one due to distinctive leucism) is now blind in one eye following an attack by the magpie. Sadly the poor jackdaw is now more vulnerable to the many cats that frequent our garden, rather than the nasty magpie. Still, that's nature and that's life .....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE