Is he the New Ray Mears?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I think he will get plenty of takers and i mean takers literaly :roll: :lol:, I dont think he will be filling Rays boots as he is different gravey, i do think his expiditions will be good if you didnt want to buy a lonely planey guide and go it alone though.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I dont think so myself.

This is his first series (even though channel four did the same thing in 2003) I think it was excellent television - but if compared to Rays first series of world of survival or tracks I'd still choose tracks over the Tribe - Ray still has the skills up his sleeve too and that is what bushcraft is about!

Of course if Bruces series CONTINUE to go from strength to strength they will soon over shadow Mr Mears latest offering which many people consider to be less bushcraft and more the holiday programme. If that were the case then Jack you might just be right mate.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Gary said:
Of course if Bruces series CONTINUE to go from strength to strength they will soon over shadow Mr Mears latest offering which many people consider to be less bushcraft and more the holiday programme. If that were the case then Jack you might just be right mate.

Good point Gary. The Executive Producer of the RM programmes has left the BBC so I don't know if this the last series that is to be filmed so is Bruce the natural replacement?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Jack said:
Good point Gary. The Executive Producer of the RM programmes has left the BBC so I don't know if this the last series that is to be filmed so is Bruce the natural replacement?

No, that'll be me!! :wink:

Seriously all I can say is good series - but lets see whats next. Bruce's lack of skill in 'the craft' would put him in good stead for a series where he 'learns' the skills from native peoples as oppossed to just visiting them!

But (just the the record) I'd still like to see something UK based. A programme exploring our bushcraft skills, traditions and mythology - Pre-iron age britian maybe or british skills from the pre-history, the breaker people, the celtic invasion all the way up to the roman invasion!!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
To be truthful I'm leaning towards Stuart off here !! :super:

He's accomplished an awful lot for his age and he's very knowledgeable.

Watch this space

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
maddave said:
To be truthful I'm leaning towards Stuart off here !! :super:

He's accomplished an awful lot for his age and he's very knowledgeable.

Watch this space

Oh now you have gone and done it Dave :shock:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Gary said:
But (just the the record) I'd still like to see something UK based. A programme exploring our bushcraft skills, traditions and mythology - Pre-iron age britian maybe or british skills from the pre-history, the breaker people, the celtic invasion all the way up to the roman invasion!!
I agree with you there Gary. Watching the repeat of the first programme in the new RM series really reminded me how much it promised and offered a tantalising glimpse of just how great a British Isles based series could be.

I have enjoyed the RM and Bruce Parry programmes, both offering personal and considered experiences of important peoples and ways of life, but I do feel something home grown would be much appreciated; something that re-kindles the appreciation of our own aboriginal roots and skills here in Europe; and which is much more relevant to most people who watch and practise bushcraft in this region.

Actually a lot of these skills were in everyday usage beyond the Roman invasion, right up until the early C20th and if you consider a wider Europe too ( as indeed peoples exchanged skills and cultures and beliefs across Europe right from the earliest times!) there is so much yet to be explored and re-discovered; often skills which in fact are still practised or at least remembered by our grand parents generation.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Moonraker said:
Actually a lot of these skills were in everyday usage beyond the Roman invasion, right up until the early C20th and if you consider a wider Europe too ( as indeed peoples exchanged skills and cultures and beliefs across Europe right from the earliest times!) there is so much yet to be explored and re-discovered; often skills which in fact are still practised or at least remembered by our grand parents generation.

Good point MR - We brits forget the fact that most of europe still uses much more traditional skills be this fungi collecting to fishing. In fact when it comes to using bushcraft Britian is really the poor man of europe with just a few odd balls hanging on to skills that most uk residents couldnt give a monkeys about while in France,Sweden, Norway or say Italy skills we sometimes strieve to learn are still take for granted as a everyday part of life!

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Gary - your comment about Bruces' lack of skill in " the craft " is interesting.

I Knew him from my Trekforce days, granted, probabley hasn't a clue what the word Bushcraft is, but he is good in the outdoors, same thing but differant label. :eek:):

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
chris said:
Gary - your comment about Bruces' lack of skill in " the craft " is interesting.

I Knew him from my Trekforce days, granted, probabley hasn't a clue what the word Bushcraft is, but he is good in the outdoors, same thing but differant label. :eek:):

Your probably right Chris, I dont imagine for a minute Bruce would be at a lose in the outdoors, but what I was trying to say is that a 'lost in the woods' approach to bushcraft skills would be better than a 'I know it all but lets let the funny native fella do it' approach, so saying as a non-practitoner of the craft he would make a better presenter of a skills programme.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I got mixed feelings from "lost in the woods" there was some good stuff in there, the caving thing especially made me feel claustrophobic, but towards the end of the series I was kind of hoping the laddish present wouldn't survive!

To answe Bruce v Ray, I think there's room for them both, or maybe even a joint effort?

Dave

I really like Bruces up for anything if slightly bumbling approach to Bushcraft, very much in contrast to Rays know all approach. I particularly like the way he joins in with everything the tribes people do regardless of how unpleasant or potentially dangerous it may be. This approach endears him to the Tribespeople and the viewer far better than Rays slightly aloof approach.

I will probably be lynched for saying it but it is just my opinion. Ray is damned good at what he does though and I think they are both here to stay. :super:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
What we may find is that TV programmers will see Bruce and Ray as essentially the same thing - that is, they both appeal to the same sort of viewer, and will bring in similar viewing figures.
That said, Ray is something of a celebrity and as such we can expect to see him around for quite a while.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE