Iron Age knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've been making some knives for members of a new Iron Age living history group (Dumnonika) that a friend of mine has set up and I thought I'd share some pictures of what I've been up to :)

First up, a ring hilted combat safe knife. Blade is about 13" long and the whole thing is made from EN45 si-mn spring steel, left with the hammer marks on the surface. The handle is wrapped with leather and the polished ring has been coloured with heat to give a little accent (though the oxides will rub off).

combat.jpg

Next a pair of kitchen knives; large has a blade of about 8". Blades of EN42J high carbon steel, surface has been ground and finished with scrapers and stones (no belt grinders, angle grinders or buffing machines in the Iron Age, so I won't leave those surface finishes! *evil* ). Handles or beech with decoration coloured with ochres.

IAkitchenweb.jpg

Upping the authenticity a little further. This one has a blade of wrought iron and shear steel (made from the same wrought iron and carburised using charcoal and deer poo), about 3" long. The blade has been stone ground to a fine finish then etched gently in vinegar to make the patterns more obvious. Handle is antler with cow horn guard and a slice of serpentine (aka Lizardstone, from Cornwall) pinned inplace with bronze wire.

shear4.jpg
shearend.jpg

And finally, about as close to 100% authentic as is possible without tanning my own leather and smelting my own iron.... This was a commission for Dru on here. The blade is about 4" and the same shear steel and iron as above, but this time (for experimentations sake) I ONLY used tools available during the Iron Age. So it was all forged close to finished dimension/shape, scraped to final shape (files are too expensive to use for stockremoval and a scraper works very well, especially on iron), then stones used to refine the finish and bring to a polish that was etched again in vinegar. The handle is cow horn and antler, the scrimshaw was taken from designs used on harness fittings from 1st Century AD somerset (Polden Hills) and dyed with chracoal and oil. The whole thing is glued together with birch tar. The sheath has been left undyed and the design was drawn on by Dru and I moulded it whilst wet.

shear51.jpg
shear1.jpg

Later in the year I plan to make myself a new knife from iron and steel that I make myself (got the ore, and my own charcoal, just no time), handled with wood from my land and sheathed in some deer hide I've got from a road kill a while back. All because I can *biggrin*

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thats soooo interesting, Dave, thanks for the descriptions especially! May I ask what the sheath design is? I'm seeing a reflected swan head :)

It's super authentic work, I'm boggled to think how much attention goes into the stone and scraper finishing. Beautiful, the group are so lucky to have you making for them :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Oh wow, those are just wonderful, as knives, as tools, as pieces of work, and as historical reminders.

Utterly gorgeous.

Wonderful work as always mate :You_Rock_

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Later in the year I plan to make myself a new knife from iron and steel that I make myself (got the ore, and my own charcoal, just no time), handled with wood from my land and sheathed in some deer hide I've got from a road kill a while back. All because I can *biggrin*

Now that I want about a hundred photos of pretty please :)

A truly inspiring project!

I'll swap for pictures of making sugar from scratch if you like ? :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Red, as soon as I get around to the smelt I shall certainly be getting a load of pics and posting up :D

Turbogirl, the design was influenced by patterns seen all over metal objects seen in Britain through the iron age, most especially sword scabbards and harness fittings in the southwest of england.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......May I ask what the sheath design is? I'm seeing a reflected swan head :) .....

you need to get yourself a dirtier mind girl, reflected swans heads isn't even vaguely what i can see in that design, what i can see is a :censored:

great work dave, it's nice to see old fashioned materials and techniques being used to produce tools that'll get some use, much more interesting than some museum pieces. any chance of a little more info about "shear steel"? it's not a term i've come across before

cheers

stuart

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
funnily enough, until you mentioned it I hadn't noticed the alternative image in the sheath! It's meant to be a section of art akin to this 1st century scabbard. The customer drew it on the sheath and I moulded it, though I think the lack of crispness in the moulding has caused the change in deign :rolleyes:

islham1stCSWORD4.jpg

Shear steel is the name given to steel produced by adding carbon to wrought iron and was used to make shears before cast steel became commonplace. The process of making it is pretty simple: you take your wrought iron and place it in a sealed (airtight) container with a source of carbon, then cook it at forging temps for a period of time. The carbon migrates into the iron and produces steel :) Simple. Though the carbon can go both ways depending on the atmosphere, so reducing atmos and the carbon goes into the metal and oxidising the carbon leaves it. In otherwords you have to keep the vessel airtight for the hours that the metal has to be kept at 900C+ to make steel. These days its a simple case of putting charcoal and iron inside a steel box (pipe with caps welded on each end) and then leave it in the gas forge for a day's forging or two. In antiquity the package was more likely clay and the fire is the charcoal forge, so keeping it together for hours is a bit of a skill!

Once the box has been cooked it is opened up and you get to see if it has worked. At best you'll have Blister Steel, so the iron will have little bubbles of very high carbon steel on the surface, but the carbon content will be virtually nil at the centre of the bar (depending on thickness, duration of soak and the carbonacious material). So to make a more uniform product it is forged out, folded over and welded together; this makes Shear Steel and is finer grained (the slag in the iron is squeezed out during welding) and more uniform chemistry. The shear steel can be further refined by repeating the folding and welding process; this is called Double Shear Steel. Sometimes it was folded yet again and called, yep you guessed it, Triple Shear Steel. I did a lot of research on this process about ten years ago, it was the fcus of my Masters thesis so I can easily sit here and write 20K+ words on the subject lol :D

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Beautiful work made interesting all the more now
because of the insight into the method.
Fascinating stuff , thanks for posting.
Simon

forestwalker

...Triple Shear Steel. I did a lot of research on this process about ten years ago, it was the fcus of my Masters thesis so I can easily sit here and write 20K+ words on the subject lol :D

I don't actully want to know the answer -- it will either be "Way Over My Budget" or even worse "I *could* afford it, barely" -- but: what would such a knife, or just the blade, cost? General order of magnitude should be enought to discourage me... :-/

As to the 20K words: I'd read them...

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
well the shear steel one there (without the decoration) is up for £220. The time I put into that blade wasn't really counted up since I made it bit by bit over months (made the steel, lost it, made the blade, lost it, ground/polished the blade, lost it, etc). Also the making of the shear steel itself isn't very time consuming, its just that I can only make small amounts so it has to be laminated up with something else and that takes time; also it can be a pain to work with. I think in future something that size and style would be more like £250-£280.

I plan to do more of that sort of thing in the future :) I've still got some of that steel left and I've been cooking ideas of what to make with it (in my head). just can't decide what to do with it. Got ideas of snakes and stars all in worught iron, but wrought and sheer steel are funny things to work with: they have different working temperatures and a desire to split apart! Then of course since there is little control over the chemistry of the steel, you never know what you have until its made! This batch is sparking around the 1% carbon mark, certainly hardens up nicely in oil

Last edited:

forestwalker

well the shear steel one there (without the decoration) is up for £220. The time I put into that blade wasn't really counted up since I made it bit by bit over months (made the steel, lost it, made the blade, lost it, ground/polished the blade, lost it, etc). Also the making of the shear steel itself isn't very time consuming, its just that I can only make small amounts so it has to be laminated up with something else and that takes time; also it can be a pain to work with. I think in future something that size and style would be more like £250-£280.

Evl man! That is right around the "I *could* afford it, if I saved" mark. Make it more expensive, make sure I could not afford it. Please?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE