Irish Knife Laws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 26, 2011
Ireland
Hi, so pretty new to bushcraft, and just have a question for anyone from Ireland: What are the laws regarding carrying knives in Ireland? Obviously I'll be carrying mine for bushcraft purposes, but the Gardai wont all know that! I looked it up and I found this:

. —(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

(4) Where a person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the onus of proving which shall lie on him), has with him in any public place—

( a ) any flick-knife, or

( b ) any other article whatsoever made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person, he shall be guilty of an offence."

The main points I took from this are 1. NO knife is ok: small folding or otherwise. 2. It's up to you to prove you have it for non-dodgy reasons. 3. It's about having a knife in a PUBLIC PLACE.

So you can't carry a folding or small knife in your pocket day to day? How does it apply to carrying knives from your house to your camping area?

Thanks in advance!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It's much the same as the laws over here by the looks of it.

Can't comment on specifics of what you've posted re edc of pocket knives but the defence is there for carrying your knife to and from your bushcraft/camping activities.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I lived in Ireland for 4 years and carried knives when I needed to, it was never a problem with the gardai . I used to manage a shop on Grafton street in the centre of Dublin and I used to to speak to the local Gardai on a regular basis . They as good as told me nobody would bother me as long as I did not look like a nackker (chav in england ) .
I recon if you did get stopped the worst that would happen is the Gardai would probably say " now don't go waving that around where everybody can see "

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
It's much the same as the laws over here by the looks of it.

Can't comment on specifics of what you've posted re edc of pocket knives but the defence is there for carrying your knife to and from your bushcraft/camping activities.

atleast we get the sub 3" non lockers

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
"The main points I took from this are 1. NO knife is ok: small folding or otherwise. 2. It's up to you to prove you have it for non-dodgy reasons. 3. It's about having a knife in a PUBLIC PLACE.

So you can't carry a folding or small knife in your pocket day to day? How does it apply to carrying knives from your house to your camping area? "

You have answered your own question , a public place includes your car.
It's all about having a reason to explain to the Guard and then to the Judge. Is Bushcraft a reason?
In practice I go out once a month with a knife in my rucksack and I have not had a problem.
Use good old common sense. If you go on a picnic it is not unreasonable to have a knife with you.
If you are using public transport keep it in the bottom of your bag.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
from the way that the quote in the OP reads, i'd say that the knife laws in ireland sound pretty much the same as they are here in the UK. if you have a valid reason to carry a knife then you'll be fine, if you don't then you won't. all that it needs really is common sense

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE