Introduction - Glad to be here.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peewit

Oct 26, 2005
Berkshire
A brief introduction. It has taken me some time because I have been busy reading and learning. At the moment my activities are limited to a bit of foraging - and making sloe gin, plus occasional camping trips. I am keen on photography and have been very impressed by the photos on the site. I don’t have much new to offer at the moment, except I haven’t seen the charcoal water filter we made when I did my Backwoodsman scout badge in the 1960s. If is very simple and if wanted I will put a short note up. My only question right now is – How do I kill escargots? Boiling water? Or will that spoil the flavour. A wonderful site and a great resource.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Can I say a very warm welcome Peewit. I'm from London. I for one would like to hear about the charcoal filter.

As for the snails - is it true that ordinary UK snails taste good?

Peewit

Oct 26, 2005
Berkshire
Hello Richard,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I did the practical bit of the Backwoodsman’s Badge at Buckmore Park between Maidstone and Rochester. After we had been tested on the stuff we had previously learnt we were given, a pigeon – to cook in clay, told to go of and make a shelter AND ….given a Billy can of very dirty water.

Obviously, the water will be boiled after filtering. So…. Ideally this is best made by a stream with sand and pebbles but it works OK if you improvise. Get a can, the larger the better and punch small holes in the bottom like a watering-cane rose. Prepare a fire and make charcoal. Collect, as available, gravel and pebbles of different sizes and sand. The can container is then filled with layers of the above.

Gravel or small pebbles at the bottom followed by sand (if you can get it) then charcoal, followed by layers of pebbles - small on the charcoal and biggest right at the very top. At least half of the can (middle section) should have charcoal.

The water goes in the top and the lumps of stick etc get blocked by the big pebbles - and smaller lumps blocked by the smaller pebbles - onward down to the charcoal, which does the main purifying. The sand does the final filtering. Repeat filtering until you are happy and then boil according to what you feel is required. The result should be clear and safe water. It probably won’t taste very good and will be ‘flat’. I know it works because to get my Backwoodsman badge I had to drink the lot! The normal cautions apply about being careful about where you get your water from - and long enough boiling time.

This may be in Scouting for Boys or other old scout books. Hope you find it interesting.

I haven’t rounded up the snails yet – but I do seem to have a lot. They crunch under foot late at night.

Best wishes,

Peewit

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
If you pour the water backwards and forwards vigourously between 2 containers a few times after boiling, it re-oxygenates it a bit and improves the 'flat' taste.

Welcome to the forum. You'll have a great time here

Peewit

Oct 26, 2005
Berkshire
Hello Stuart,

Yes, I will have a go at tutorial. Do you have and info on ‘house style’ or should I just learn from the existing ones?

On the subject of table ready snails. Clipper suggested (thanks!) I just break a snails necks prior to cooking. - As they like beer I guess their necks might break when they fall over. They might taste good too! :)

Peewit

Peewit

Oct 26, 2005
Berkshire
Hello falling rain,

Thanks for the oxygenation tip. I also think I saw somewhere that lemon juice can improve the flavour. Perhaps one of those ‘Jif’ things - if that is not too non-bushcraft.

Frank Lloyd-Wright – we don’t hear enough about him these days. I was sorry his building style lost popularity.

Peewit

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Peewit said:
Hello Stuart,

Yes, I will have a go at tutorial. Do you have and info on ‘house style’ or should I just learn from the existing ones?

um i dont think there is any guidelines for the 'house style' having a look at the existing articles should put you on the right path though.

for a simple to do yet effective style have a look at the articles by Patrick

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Hi Peewit aka Green Plover, Lapwing etc..... ;)

Welcome to a great forum, especially on a wet day like today :umbrella:

The snails should be out in force @/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE