interesting documentary about Saami culture vs Industrialization

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
How do you go back? The Saami benefit hugely from modern technology, a technology they didn't develop. The idealis for anyoneto be able to take as much or as little of technology as they wish.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
How do you go back? The Saami benefit hugely from modern technology, a technology they didn't develop. The idealis for anyoneto be able to take as much or as little of technology as they wish.

No, they do/did not.
Their culture is being obliterated and their lands and grazing grounds wasted by modern western "culture" being forced down their throat. They did very well for centuries without all that modern stuff.

And going back is no bad option, if going forward in the wrong direction is the alternativ.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

You can't "take as much or as little of technology as you wish"; that's not how it works at all..........Pandora's box ring any bells?

And I'd be interested to know, truly interested, how you know that the Saami have benefited hugely from modern technology?

I'm not having a pop at you, just like to find out how you've formed your opinion.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have no idea, but you certainly seem to hear a lot about how they like it.

Anyway, who are we to say what is good and bad? people all over the world from a variety of cultures and situations love technology.

Lets tell the Bhutanese that telly gives them square eyes now.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...epage&q=finnish care of their forests&f=false

Plus my friend who spent some time living withthe Saami recently.Plus the reduction in childhood mortality.

Then this
During the 1900’s reindeer herding becomes more extensive and meat production becomes increasingly important. In the 1960’s, the Sámi reindeer herders started to introduce new technologies – the so called snow mobile revolution in their work with reindeer. Later came other mechanical aids and today such tools are major feature of modern reindeer herding. This has had a variety of impacts on reindeer husbandry and as herders no longer ski or walk with reindeer, the relationship has changed somewhat. Today’s reindeer herding requires large areas, reindeer are often frightened and are forced to flee from natural pastures. Today’s reindeer are not watched year-round and reindeer wander freely during certain periods.
However, reindeer herding would not be possible without the maintenance of traditional knowledge which dates back millennia and is transferred from generation to generation. Its significance remains for reindeer herders because it contains important knowledge about how for instance land should be used during different periods and times of extreme weather fluctuation, for example.

http://reindeerherding.org/herders/sami-norway/

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
You present us with a book about Finland?
Finland is not Sápmi and Fins are no Sami.

Want to know more about them?
Start here for instance: http://www.samer.se/2137 That's a pdf-file in English purely on the Sami-people.

The real issue is the fact that the Sami are spread out over 4 different countries, each instilling their boundaries and laws upon them. Finding reliable information might prove challenging due to language barriers. Thus finding the truth about forced adaptation, submission, exploitation, discrimination and racism even up to recent history might be a bit challenging.
I am learning more and more about the Swedish version, so can not give any recommendations on the Norwegian, Finnish or Russian sides.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Is this the people whose words for reindeer herding are all loan words? Same as their words for metals?

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Are you saying there are no Saami in Finland? Past racism doesn't trump benefits accrued to the Saami. I am well aware of the downsides fro them of contact with "civillsation" The Sea Saami are a very interesting study. Culture suppressed then encouraged but maybe that is not so good for those wanting to play a full part in, for example, Norwegian society.

Ignoring health, infant mortality and the rest one could almost yearn for a Sea Saami lifestyle. Sew your own boat and live from hunting and fishing and foraging. Even better now that there is access to health and welfare provisions.

This gives basic information but there is masses more if you research.
http://www.kystmuseene.no/the-sea-sami.4526786-109811.html

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Here's another one that can't go anywhere without getting political, but having done a little reading and watched a couple of documentary things last night, it seems to me that what's going on up there is completely out of order; as usual, if you want to get to the bottom of anything like this just follow the money. Who is going to tell me that, for whatever reason, it's ok to cut down countless hectares of forest by clearfelling and ride roughshod over the indigenous people up there can ever be the right and honorouble thing to do?

As said, any more I say will be political so I'm out................................

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Saami in Finland are faced with some troubling issues relating to the states management of the forest, this isn't the forum to discuss such things however there is plenty information available for folks who may be curious.

For those with a general interest in Saami culture and its clash with the 'modern' world, the movie 'The Kautokeino Rebellion' based on true events in 19th Century Norway is worth a watch.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
In recent years there has been an upsurge in claims for indigenous rights, especially land control in many places while retaining full benefits of the society they wish to exclude from those lands. I would go on about our lack of rights in England to even wild camp in our own country but politics...?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE