Inspiration required! Foraging presentation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've been asked at short notice to do an hours talk on 'Foraging' to a class of year 5's. Its on Monday afternoon :eek:

I'm confident presenting to nippers and using powerpoint but I'm just struggling to sort the various subjects out into some sort of order. Ideally I'd like to take some props in with me but other than a big pan of nettle soup and venison burgers I'm stumped!

Any suggestions or ideas for the talk would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
First thing I'd do is use the four seasons as the basic framework to hang it all on and give it structure; and seasonality is the basis for any real understanding of foraging, but seems to be one of those rhythms of nature that folk have, by and large, lost touch with.

Good on you for accepting the challenge at such short notice - many would have retreated rapidly!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
…..and mind a quick discussion of the plants at risk lists too, and the 'just because you can, doesn't mean you should' bit.

I agree with Mac though; seasonality and availability. Forage a salad of assorted edibles and take that too. Might be elderflowers out down your way ? make up some fritters ? and some elderflower cordial ?

I'm sorry not to be of much help; but it's really kind of dependant on what is available where you are, that you can yourself forage.

There's the huge range of stuff we make from what we forage though, from amadou to cordage, basketry (can you prune some willow ? it's everything from basketry to cordage, to dye to aspirin) to cosmetics. (I have bog myrtle growing in a pot in the garden, I also have mugwort and lemon balm, those make an anti insect lotion)

Best of luck with it :)

atb,
M

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Cool, thanks guys! On the last visit here the kids were fascinated with peeling rush (Juncus effusus) and kept them occupied for ages.

I'd thought about doing hill top down to coast but the seasons make more sense.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi Bowlander,,,,sorry to interupt,,i live in Garstang ,quite near to you,,tell me ,,do you know anywhere i can have a couple of nights bushcraft local,,,
Many thanks ,,,Scotty 205,,,

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Hi Scotty,
Most of the land around here is managed for shooting so are a no go, I would go into Silverdale/South Lakes where folk are more tolerant of overnighters.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I am going to make some big general assumptions here, you have been warned.

Things I would cover: What could be edible? Most kids will see plants in the garden, and food in the super market, they won't have connected that a potatoe is a tuber and found in the soil, or that beans/apples are seed casings and found on the plant above ground, or that lettuce is the leaves of plants etc... And to suggest flowers are edible. Wow...

I find Primrose is really useful, the whole plant is edible (good source of carbs in the root). Shame it's not 4 weeks later, the blackberries would be out then...

J

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Venison Burgers, where abouts does meat fit into foraging....surely that would fall under the Butchery and Meat preparation category. if you plan on covering meat i would suggest you take along a Bunny and dispatch like a pro in front of the Kids...Video or it didn't happen..;)

Have you thought of gathering suitable wild foods and taking it to school? Rush in England tastes the same as our rush with big edible roots. Pignuts and other foods you could gather and get children to volunteer to taste them and see guess what kind of plant they may be eating. Maybe too late for birch sap in England? Just get them involved rather than talk.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks Joe and Stevie. I was told not to take meat or any gory stuff in. To demonstrate how productive various habitats were I spent 30 mins foraging on moorland, in a wood and on the beach. The kids got to touch and smell the various items I'd collected but weren't allowed to taste anything for 'health amd safety' reasons.

They are doing firecraft today and shelter building tomorrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE