Ingleborough

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
went up ingleborough today with a couple of mates. It was pretty windy and cloudy but atleast we wernt sweltering! Hope you enjoy the pics.

on the way up...
B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

dead sheep down one of the pot/shake holes. There were tons of these on the way up, and we though they were big, on the way down they were huge.
B5.jpg

the task ahead
B6.jpg

some old ruins we passed on the way up
B7.jpg

getting closer
B8.jpg

looking back from where we came
B9.jpg

B10.jpg

B11.jpg

pics from the top...

looking out on penyghent
B12.jpg

gaping gill and its campers
B13.jpg

my attempt at an arty shot
B15.jpg

the monument on top
B16.jpg

dappled sunlight
B18.jpg

B17.jpg

B22.jpg

limestone
B19.jpg

side of ingleborough
B20.jpg

looking up the ribble valley
B21.jpg

my friend who had taken his DSLR with him got some great shots of the way down, especailly over the limestone for some reason unknown I totally forgot about the camera at that point! Got a couple of good shots inside some of the bigger shake holes on the way down though;

B23.jpg

B24.jpg

might upload a couple of my mates if I can get hold of some.

cheers

J

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
Nice pics, thanks.

Looks like you avoided the rain we have had most of the day then?

Great shot of the viaduct in the distance.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Good pics, thanks. Good country, that.
I remember reading about Ingleborough, Whernside and Peny-ghent in a magazine years ago, and they are on my 'to do' list.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
30 years ago; I was spending an awful lot of time in that area, jogging along, with my steel framed,para bergen, slowly scraping the skin from my lower back, shoulders and hips ( padding was considered "girly" by the PSI's:nofeed:)

Up Ingleborough, then away to Whernside, then back to Ingleborough and on, to Pen y Ghent then RV back at the Ribblesdale viaduct, or a variation on the theme!:togo:
obviously a lot of this was done in the dark! how we never had anyone falling in shake holes or injured crossing limestone pavement, I'll never know:confused:

I wonder if the Army still train round there?

Anyway; If you were lucky; you got a hot cup of tea, before climbing aboard the "tonner" for the slow, diesel fumed journey, back to Tyneside;)

Amazing what you put up with, when you're 18 and "motivated":)

Cracking photo's, well done all goodjob

cheers

R.B.

Last edited:

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
looks like an awesome place to go, i'll stick that on my list of places to go after i've got my driving license.

cheers for sharing the pics ;)
TJ

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers for the comments guys!! hardly any rain, just a ridiculously high wind that sapped the heat straight from us!!

nice one RB, sounds like that was a bit rough. Them shake holes are deadly, everyone of them that had a big enough hole in had sheep skeletons piled at the bottom, some of them going atleast 30ft down. Nasty stuff wouldnt like to be anywhere near them in the dark, knowing my look anyway!

it is a lovely place to be though, the limestone pavement is great fun. The shape of the stone never fails to amaze me.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i was camping below you from friday night but since we had my 3 year old lad we never made it up ingleborough this time we went to the waterfall walk and white scar during our stay having been up ingleborough for about 9 years so cheers for the pics great memories of when we had no nippers and could tackle anything lol

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
lol the waterfall wlak is still pretty good though- im sure they will tackle it when they are a bit older :) we dropped down the deep gulley leading back to white scar caves was a bit hairy plenty of sheep remains!!! got a bit of a cut on the leg serves me right for wearing shorts :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE