Info needed on how to refurb and use a Singer Sewing Machine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
Hi guys, I bought an old hand powered singer machine from flea bay for £3 the other day that the guy had found in his loft. It seems to be seized up as the handle wont turn but I'm quite confident I can strip it and rebuild it if need be but if anyone could point me in the direction of some info that would help I would be very grateful. Also it has been a long time since I used a sewing machine and a little help on how to set it up wouldn't go amiss either, I know a few of you guys on here make your own gear and you've inspired me to try the same but I just need help with the required tools now. :)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
If you get the serial number off it you can find the model and year from here If you get the model number then you can get the manuals etc on line, do a search you shouldn't need to pay for them and they have set up info in them too. I got one a wee while ago and had to do a bit of refurb work on it too. It was pretty straight forward as it's simply nice mechanical assemblies. Be careful when taking to bits, take notes and photos (saved my life with mine!) Some of the tolerances are pretty tight (especially in the bobbin gubbins!) so take care when reassembling and make sure everything is nice and clean and lubed. I love singers, works of mechanical art!

Cheers,

Alan

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I believe the Clydebank museum has literally hundreds of Singer sewing machines in storage (they have no room to display them) and if there is any information you can't find online, I'm sure a chat with one of the curators might help out.

I remember the Singer factory being demolished (early 90's) - it's now the site of Clydebank Business Park. End of an era indeed.

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
Cheers guys, I'll get the number off it later and I'll post some before and after pics for the refurb hopefully.

Dan, having checked the websites you guys gave me it is a 201k made in 1950 in Clydebank, a similar model 10 years previous was over £13 brand new which was about 6 months wages. Hopefully it'll be going again soon.

Last edited:

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
I used this stuff to clean and oil my old 201.

-lamp oil
-paraffin oil
-sewing machine oil
-T-Spirit
-cotton buds
-cotton

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I use Singer sewing machine oil and I've a friend who has MS so I've a supply of very fine syringes off him, these make a tiny precision placed drop into and on all the oiling points on the maintenance diagram which tells you not to use too much, and what a difference it makes from a bag of spanners to a Swiss watch -- cheers Danny

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've got an old singer that i've never done anything with, i've just kept it because it's so damn pretty. i use a janome machine for sewing, but you've inspired me to get the singer working. i shall go and look for a serial number and find out what model it is, watch this space..............

cheers

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
ok, so my machine is serial number S853689, one of 75000 model 27K's made between july and december 1906 at the kilbowie factory, clydebank, scotland. all very interesting to be honest. i shall go and look for a manual now.

cheers

stuart

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i love my singer, i have had a 27k from 1891 i gave away on here and a 27k from 1931 that was a relatives that came with just about every extra you could get. i kept that one!

Just oil it, they are purely mechanical and big anjd heavy construction, just check that none of the bars underneath the footplate bit are bent and oil and a clean should get it going again!

post up some pics :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i love my singer, i have had a 27k from 1891 i gave away on here and a 27k from 1931 that was a relatives that came with just about every extra you could get. i kept that one!

Just oil it, they are purely mechanical and big anjd heavy construction, just check that none of the bars underneath the footplate bit are bent and oil and a clean should get it going again!

post up some pics :)

in don't suppose you've got a manual for it have you? i've been looking online and apparently i need a 28k manual for my 27k but don't seem to be able to find one that i'm able to download. if you do happen to have one is there any chance you'd be able to scan/photograph and e-mail it to me?

cheers

stuart

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
in don't suppose you've got a manual for it have you? i've been looking online and apparently i need a 28k manual for my 27k but don't seem to be able to find one that i'm able to download. if you do happen to have one is there any chance you'd be able to scan/photograph and e-mail it to me?

cheers

stuart

Is this what you're after Stuart?

It'll cost you £4.95 to download though

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk

cheers

stuart

no i dont sorry, i will have a dig around a few relatiuves have them to im not sure if they have a manual though

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Is this what you're after Stuart?

It'll cost you £4.95 to download though

exactly what i'm after, thanks for that steve. i won't be downloading it though, no way i'm paying more for the instructions than i did for the machine, and the machine was free. saving screenshots will suffice.

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE