Info needed on Halland County, Sweden.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I've been offered a job in Halland County, southern Sweden, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's any walking or paddling there?

I've looked on Google Earth and there are lots of small lakes in the woods, so any information would be much appreciated.

Information on other outdoor activities in the region would be welcome too.

Cheers, Michael.

Don't know the area specifically, but in Sweden if there are lakes and forests you are free to paddle / walk in them. I think that part of the coast has some nice beaches too.
In those SW parts of Sweden you usually don't get that much snow in the winter, will probably be more wet and windy, but nice right now if you are going soon.
Hope you have a great time.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I've been offered a job in Halland County, southern Sweden, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's any walking or paddling there?

I've looked on Google Earth and there are lots of small lakes in the woods, so any information would be much appreciated.

Information on other outdoor activities in the region would be welcome too.

Cheers, Michael.

I was partly raised in that region, go ahead and ask anything you like.

There are four major rivers which are all possible to paddle, and there is good fly fishing in all of them. Halland is mainly farmland, but there are quite a lot of forests, most are small and they are usually not connected. In the borderland between halland and Småland there is plenty of woodland, but if you want to hike a lot you will need a car, or be prepared to go by bus. There is a nice trail, 'hallandsleden' (literary the halland trail), it has readymade leantos every 15 km.

There are plenty of nice beaches a long the coast, and one that claims to be the best windsurfing beach in sweden, don't know much about that but it's a nice place. If you will live in the northern part of halland there are some nice archipelagos, a great place for kayaking. It's like canoeing, but on the ocean :D

Fishing, by sea, lake or river is a nice pastime, hiking and seakayaking too. If you have an opportunity, the hunting is pretty good too. My old hunting team still hunts moose and roe deers down there. There are some good orienteering clubs if you're into sports, I think orienteering is a great way to hone my navigations skills, be out in the wilds and stay in shape.

Where in halland are you going?

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Swede,

The closest town to where I'll be working is Varberg.

As I'll only be there for a month or two, and I'll be working most of the time, any tips on daytrips will be much appreciated.

Cheers, Michael.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Swede,

The closest town to where I'll be working is Varberg.

As I'll only be there for a month or two, and I'll be working most of the time, any tips on daytrips will be much appreciated.

Cheers, Michael.

Ringhals by any chance? ;)

I was actually down by Varberg this weekend.

There is quite a lot of nice places around, the town itself (Varberg) has chartered ships for sea angling, and there is, as I said, a great kayak center. There are quite a lot of coastal natural reserves around varberg, most of them are beatiful for just wandering about. Just north of the town there is some kind of center for bird watching, you can borrow a spotting scope and head for their hidden shelters among the reeves. Åkulla bokskogar boasts some the countrys oldest oak forests, that's a bit from town, so you'll need a car. A days hiking along the halland trail is really recommended, it passes quite close by Varberg, right outside of the nearby village of Veddige. A lot of bike shops offer bike rentals, and there is a terrific bike trail, may sound a bit dull, but it passes through a lot of nice woodland, and you get to see more than you would by foot.

As I mentioned before, try to do some fishing, the place is full of good fishing waters. If you contact me by email, I could probably come down if you have any preliminary days off (although I suspect you will be spending those at ithe pub ;) )

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Ringhals by any chance? ;)

Is it that obvious? It's like when people move to West Cumbria, 9 times out of 10 they're going to work at Sellafield.

I could probably come down if you have any preliminary days off (although I suspect you will be spending those at ithe pub ;) )

That's a very kind offer Big Swede, I'll be in touch when I know more about my leave cycle. Having heard about the price of a pint in sweden, I think that I'll be avoiding the pub.
I went ice climbing in Norway a couple of years ago, and it's the only country that I've ever visited where I haven't bought a drink.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE