Inflatable mat for hammock

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Fancy a change in the warmer weather from an UQ, so my question...
Is there a decent inflating mat out there that fits something very similar to a Warbonnet BB?

I was toying with MLD's Klymit X Frame XLARGE, but reviews are mixed. Alpkit appears to have dropped the Numo,
but a few other company's do a similar style (for stupid money) so I'm looking at exped down mats at the mo.
It does not have to be full size as I was happy with a 3/4 UQ before.

Any suggestions :)

Cheers, al.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've got the "Tenth Wonder, Green Hornet" hammock, and this time of year I use a length of space blanket insulation between the 2 bottom layers. Cut it to length, then seal the cuts with duct tape. Works for me.
Colin.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers collin. I had the same hammock. Nice kit for the price :)

I've used a foil laminated 5mm mat (with the UQ) in the depths of winter and it was too warm. Looking for a happy medium that will do 3 seasons or so...

atb, al.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Some of the Pacific Outdoor mats would work well Al, the coffin shape should stop it from trying to creep out

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My Pacific airmat (500g) does the job in warmer weather and doesn't move about in any of my hammocks but I don't take it unless I'm definitely sleeping on the ground for at least one night.

For me, summer insulation is usually a 2/3rds down underquilt with 2" loft or a 24" wide CCF mat. I find any airmat in a hammock makes them tippy compared to ccf or an underquilt.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Interesting, cheers guys.

The idea of the mat was to allow both ground dwelling and hammocking. Making my kit a bit more swappable. Have to give this one some thought....

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My Pacific airmat (500g) does the job in warmer weather and doesn't move about in any of my hammocks but I don't take it unless I'm definitely sleeping on the ground for at least one night.

Like my mate Dave at last years Bardsters Farm do. :D

IMG_1042.jpg

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hi
I have been thinking about getting one of these http://www.militarymart.co.uk//polish-army-sleeping-mat/prod_1778.html for use in my hammoc because it looks like it would bend to fit the shape of the hammoc better. Now that they are back in stock I shall buy one and see how it goes!
ATB
Ben

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

They are big and heavy, but well worth the dosh in my opinion. Nice waterproof base as well. I've used them onthe ground and as a mattress on a cot, but not in a hammock.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
That looks like a good solution ben, thanks for adding.
It may be a little too heavy though as most of my camps are 1-3 miles on foot from the motor. Might invest in one for meets though!

Cheers, al.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Any one tried using a wool blanket cut to size and inserted where the mat would go ? Like the idea of the space blanket :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Any inflatable mat that isn't too massive should do - you'l possible need to deflate it a little to allow it to mould/conform to the hammock shape.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I've not had a problem with them, good insulation from the ground ( in a tent with ground sheet ) although i've not done really cold weather camping, just a light frost in the mornings :)

They're reasonably thick, I'll have a look see for a review for you.........back in a bit :)

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/ARMASNNSM/title/ARTIACH-Skin-Mat

I'll keep looking and post in this "post"

Email: sdmetruk@sas.upenn.edu
Review Type: Sleeping Pad
Manufacturer & Name of Gear: Artiach Skin Mat Reg Midlength
Weight: 1 lb 14 oz
Cost: $64.00 US
Conditions: Rated 35 degrees / Summer
Usage: Hiking & Backpacking
Capacity: Long
Reviewer's Height & Weight: 5'6 - 130 lbs
Conditions: 4-Seasons - Moderate
Usage: Ultralight Fastpacking

This is an excellent self inflating pad.

Comfort: I've never slept on a Thermarest, so unfortunately I can't compare it to what would be the most viable alternative. But then again, I can't imagine sleeping on anything more comfortable (short of my own bed). The pad insulates well and is easy to adjust the right level of 'cushion' with the valve.

Setup/Use/Maintenance: This pad does not always inflate itself (I've read other reviews which expressed the same complaint). It always requires a bit of blowing, which is disconcerting since I imagine this will shorten the life of the pad because of mildew issues. The pad is also somewhat of a pain to roll up to fit it in its stuff sack and it takes a bit of time.

Packability: The pad rolls up into a package the size of, oh, a cylinder with the diameter of the middle of a football and about the same length. This is much much smaller than the Thermarests compress (I'm comparing to comprable Thermarests - not the ultralightweight ones). The package is very very dense once rolled up and I find it awkward to fit on the inside of my pack (I used to use a ridgerest, so having a pad in my pack is strange to me to begin with).

Durability: This pad is probably a little more delicate than Thermarests, but I have yet to experience any problems with it on the trail. I did, however, put it up against a wall which had a small pin (smaller than a sewing needle) sticking out of it and this punctured the pad. I didn't have time to repair the hole before my next trip and the pad didn't leak at all - I was shocked. I give the durability of the pad one thumb up. The patch looks pretty....wimpy too. I've seen Thermarest patches and they look much much better.

Verdict: I like this pad a lot. Its not perfect, but I have yet to find gear that is. I would buy it again (although maybe in a lighter weight - there are smaller ones). Yes - I'm quite pleased with my sleeping pad.

Also, the surface is the tackiest available, thus there is no sleeping bag slippage whatsoever.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers Robbi... appreciated :) one for the list then!

While I'm here, anyone had dealings with Thermarest warranty? One pad has caught my eye. But it 'aint cheap :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE