Infinity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 5, 2006
Londinium
Your page was recommended to me by a being encountered at a Native American sweat lodge some time ago. Only now has the intention to explore it been actualised. The internet is so vast that one may drift off course endlessly, unless some force is applied. Hence, I trust that my presence here may be fruitful, both for myself and others.

Waes Hail!

A.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hi and welcome aboard :D

Feel free to ask away. The best way is just to get stuck straight in.

Remember, there are no silly questions on here........

.....but you may get plenty of silly answers :lmao:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Ormr said:
Your page was recommended to me by a being encountered at a Native American sweat lodge some time ago. Only now has the intention to explore it been actualised. The internet is so vast that one may drift off course endlessly, unless some force is applied. Hence, I trust that my presence here may be fruitful, both for myself and others.

Waes Hail!

A.
Hi,

I have a question or two for you Ormr:-

Is a Native American sweat lodge a type of suana? And, how would you encounter a bushcraftuk site in a sweat lodge?

Which part of Londinium are you from (being from thos parts myself)?

Nov 5, 2006
Londinium
Yassir,

A N.A.S.L. is indeed, as you state, a type of sauna. I have likewise encountered the tradition of WOOD-FUELLED (emphasis) 'Saunas' (Finnish word) in Poland, Russia, Lithuania... although in recent years they have become markedly less widespread. I do not have any information regarding Germanic or Celtic countries. They are, in my opinion a fantastic way of cleansing the body of toxins and reinvigorating the spirit. The difference between the N.A.S.L. and 'Sauna' type is that the latter is situated in a log cabin, and birch branches are used to beat the body to encourage blood circuation, whereas the former takes place inside a bender-frame dome covered with blankets. Both rely on the principle of heating stones (ideally volcanic) in a fire, and then splashing water over. There is perhaps more ritual to the former, although what may have existed in Europe prior to the conquest of Xianity will most probably been lost.

As for how I found out about this site during the proceedings, whilst the stones were heating the participants were able to converse. This lodge takes place at Braziers Park, where I understand a Bushmoot has taken place.

I live not far from Richmond Park, i.e. in SW London. PM or email if you might be interested in meeting.

I hope that answers your questions...

rich59 said:
Hi,

I have a question or two for you Ormr:-

Is a Native American sweat lodge a type of suana? And, how would you encounter a bushcraftuk site in a sweat lodge?

Which part of Londinium are you from (being from thos parts myself)?

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'll be accused of cheating, but we have a semi-permanent sweat lodge that uses a dome tent for the covering. I dug a hole in the ground and lined it with the granite blocks that make gardening such fun in this region: this makes a sunken seating area. To convert to a sweat lodge, we put the tent over it, filling any gaps where the wind can get in. There's enough height to stand with a bit of a stoop.
It won't retain the heat as long as the real thing, but on a still day it gets hot enough to clear the pores and sinuses.

Nov 5, 2006
Londinium
If I might make some suggestions...

1. The lower your dome (you should really need no higher than to sit cross-legged in, thus the ideal shape has in fact a horizontal rather than domed top), and

2. The more layers of insulation, the better it will keep the heat

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
You're asking me to build a real sweat lodge, aren't you ?
Mine is just a toy, with room for the family. I have no plans to host big groups of sweating men.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE