In the online paper this AM.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That article says he showed "good judgment" by eating his dog. It would have been better judgment to have shot and ate the bear.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Hmmm, I carry a personal location beacon when I'm walking in the uk off the beaten track. I would not have gone on a trip like that without a way of calling for help, or at least check in with someone. But then I don't know all the facts.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think the three days thing is very short! Hell Wouldn't like to share a house with him on a diet if that's how he is in three days. Even from a logistical and cold point of view doing it three days in seems daft; and what did the bear do too destroy 3 months worth of food in one go before the dog scared it off?

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I think this must of been his mother in laws dog. Dog scares away a BEAR no less and only 3 days later he seasoned it. I'd of kept that dog for security, and throw it in every hole I found.
I like to think I'd go weeks before I ate my dog, at least weakened or showing some signs of malnutrition.
3 days is a diet, his body would of been in detox mode only.
3 days I'm shocked.
Well done to him to survive, but f@&k me 3 days.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't get me wrong, fido would be in the pot if needed but for me the dog would enhance security, provide a bit of warmth and on a long leash may catch food to share.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Perhaps his survival equipment that was damaged included a satphone or locator beacon? I agree, 3 days seems a bit short to butcher your dog

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
3 days does seem to short, especially when he was supposedly attacked after a few days, and rescued after 97 days after him starting out.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Spot on Jared, thats the hard thing to account for. On the other hand if I'd gone out like that and eaten my dog I wouldn't dare come back - the missus would kill me!

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
There's a lot of criticism here considering that nobody has been in that situation and nobody knows the facts. I daresay people would be complaining they were hungry by nightfall and would most likely crack not much more after that.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
There will be people here, myself among them, who have been in a position where food is denied them for one reason or another. A carb free diet coupled with working very hard, immersion in cold water etc left us much slower after a few days, but still not biting each other. IMHO the surprise at the relative timings is justified, after all, he went on to do three months!. One thing I would concede in support of Kong's point, though, is that the first three days are hard. There's the headaches and the weakness to contend with, not to mention the additional stress the guy would have been under. Interesting story.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
There's a lot of criticism here considering that nobody has been in that situation and nobody knows the facts. I daresay people would be complaining they were hungry by nightfall and would most likely crack not much more after that.

The problem is the reporting, which seems seriously lacking and possibly incorrect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE