In the News Today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Vaguely recall something about 'urban mpg' tests being based around an average of 50 mph, so modern vehicle designs are tweaked to be more aerodynamically slippery at that low speed range giving more economical/greener performance figures. With traffic congestion getting worse every year we may be the last generation to travel the roads at such heady speeds as 70mph.

Reactions: Janne

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You should run the experiment Broch ... hop in the car and see what yr fuel gauge says after a there and back. I have read that driving at 85mph uses 40% more fuel than at 70mph ... there was a lot of reporting on this in 2014

You may be right actually. Just doing a crude calculation of wind pressure between 50 and 70mph would suggest a doubling of wind resistance - maybe they're right after all :)

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Huge number of variables. The states like to make us believe that lowering the speed is the answer, but it is not.
For safety - yes.
Not for me though. I love high speeds, and driving on excellent roads at a ridiculously low speed makes me grumpy, angry and unpredictable.
:)

You might discover that your own car engine runs much more efficiently at the revs needed to run it at 70 mph in top gear than at 50 mph in one gear lower.

There is one more negative effect. If the speed is lowered substantially, the road will not 'empty' as quickly, and tailbacks can happen.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Huge number of variables. The states like to make us believe that lowering the speed is the answer, but it is not.
For safety - yes........
Not really for safety either. During the period when our speed limit was 55mph the accident rate didn’t change.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
That is interesting. Maybe more people than me get stressed by driving slow on nice roads?
:)

Here, our max speed on just a few kilometres is 50 mph. The rest 40, 35 or 25 mph.

Yet we have many accidents and deaths considering the small population.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
There are many factors other than speed which will make a car efficient, when I go to work a distance of about 12 miles I achieve 45 mpg going there and 58 mpg coming back, solely down to the fact I go up a long hill going, and cruise down the same hill coming back., now if I cruised down the hill coming back at about 20 mph, I can actually achieve something in the region of 110 mpg, this is because the computer calculates the mpg on distance and time.
Saying that I do not always believe what the computer says..................................very few cars can normally achieve the manufacturers stated mpg figures, as there are too many variables, roads, wind speed, temp, landscape, etc, etc,

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
For best efficiency ( but dangerous so never, ever recommended!) you should put the car in Neutral and roll downhill. The higher exit speed - the longer your car will roll and only consuming ‘engine idling’ amount of fuel.

For me, driving a decent car is a pleasure. Cost of fuel is a minor problem.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Both SAAB and Rover (amongst others) offered cars with "freewheel" gear boxes.
http://www.bmh-ltd.com/wheelnut/wheelnut_1.asp

Citroen had the TraffiClutch, which was centrifugal/freewheel, and Trabant also had a freewheeling box.

And anyone familiar with Massey Ferguson multi power gearboxes will know that in low multi power there is no engine braking so it effectively is a freewheel.

Reactions: Nomad64 and Janne

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Absolutely.
If you do not burn some carbohydrates, somebody else will.
I am offsetting what I burn in cars, boat and airplane by being as environmentally friendly as I can.
Buying Local, recycling, not buying shortlived Far Eastern goods, stuff like that.
Buying cars that I keep forever. In fact, what we have now will stay with me until my Earthly departure.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My old fiesta had a speed if 56mph written in the manual as being the most efficient cruising speed. By the time I sold it that speed was impossible to maintain on some motorway hills even with a good run at them. I guess a few horses escaped the bonnet leaving only the old nags!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE