In the News Today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Why is it that every thread ends up in a argument. We all have different views,thank God ( other deities are available) Lighten up

Night in national park 'for every schoolchild'
"Every schoolchild in England should get the opportunity to "spend a night under the stars" in an idyllic landscape, an independent review has suggested."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49781600

extra extra...grass is green. LOL.

OK, so the real gist isn't about kids, but about raising interest and engagement with Britain's national parks and the environment at large.

this is quite interesting. It's a long time since I was at school, but I do remember with great fondness one teacher who did, (probably unofficially) teach us about the countryside and all that went on in it. It should be part of the school curriculum, because It is something that affects us all, and understanding how to respect our surroundings is more important now than it ever was.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Down here in Cornwall, the kids are taken out quite often,kayaking,canoeing, etc and often go on treks thru the woods, and are often given tasks to do like spotting birds animals etc
I suppose the cost would come into it, and possibly the parents may be asked to pay, like they are asked to do in extra curriculum activities.

SimonL

Oct 13, 2010
Farnborough, Hants
I was very interested in the suggestion about spending a night under the stars...
Some 45 years or so ago, I lived in Great Bookham, Surrey, in a house at the top of Bagden Hill, not far from where I lived was Bagden Woods where I spent pretty much all the time I could (I was around 10 years old at the time) and spent MANY a night in a "camp" in the woods, built out of bits of fallen tree and leaves, sleeping on the ground (on a bed of leaf mould) under a woollen blanket in only the clothes I had on my back at the time. They were great times, and something I would love to do again, but I don't know if it has gotten harder to do that (legislation etc.) or perhaps (if I was brutally honest) that I now really appreciate a good bed at night ?
There are odd times of melancholy when I ask myself if I would sooner die in a comfortable bed, or under the stars, but if I was "young again" I would pick up that blanket again....
Simon (suddenly feeling very old !)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I vaguely remember reading somewhere (possibly on this very forum) a few years ago that more people are killed by domestic cattle than any other animal.

In the news today, it happened only a few miles away from where I live. I don’t know any locals who are happy crossing cattle fields, and I know a few who’ve had to fling themselves and dogs over barbed wire fences.

Beside the point, but pretty shoddy neither ITV or the BBC could spell “berserk” and wrote “beserk” instead.

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2...7-year-old-killed-by-beserk-cattle-in-sussex/

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Bio degradable, cellulose based polymers have been around for longer than the petroleum based, and it should be very easy to phase out the p. based ones.

New refinements are made all the time, but never make it into production?

Apart from the environmental impact, I think it is crazy to use a such valuable resource as fossil oils to make plastic.

Fossil oil and coal are in limited supply.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Plastics have mechanical and non-mechanical properties that we find really useful.
The smart kids look for alternative stock sources, usually biological. Great to see another winner.

Beer can ring packs can and are being made from the grain waste from the brewing process.
The material disintegrates if it is not eaten first! Yes, it's edible.
I'm expecting local use/adoption.before the end of the year.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Reactions: Bishop

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The more you read in Newspapers nowadays, the less you are likely to believe.
And the Newspapers on the Internet....................enough said.

Reactions: santaman2000

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
The picture is so complicated, as different cars become efficient at different speeds. But overall, going faster is less efficient. Slower may cause traffic jams and exhaust (if not in a Prius or similar). But traffic jams also might get people onto buses and trains, so there is gain there ... assuming there is a train from your house twelve miles outside Ludlow :) There are gains in certain cases, and some of them might be collateral, is the best one can say.

But the issue is definitely goods transport and the big bi-daily commutes .. .not pootering about to a favourite beauty spot

You should run the experiment Broch ... hop in the car and see what yr fuel gauge says after a there and back. I have read that driving at 85mph uses 40% more fuel than at 70mph ... there was a lot of reporting on this in 2014

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE