In field sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
A cheap 5£ two-sided stone. 8 x 3 cm. :) Depends if it's a long or short trip and what the transport is. If it's canoe, and a long trip, I will perhaps bring it. (also depending on the amount of cutting tools)
If it's a long hiking trip I won't bring it. If it's a short day trip, I will certainly not bring it. :wink:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Leather belt for a strop, otherwise, I carry a small sharpener with each ruck or bag that's meant for the knife in the ruck/bag just in case the knife sees a lot of use. Those would be a diamond stick by Gerber, a ceramic rod sharpener by Gatco and an Accusharp. I also added some W/D paper to each.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
For field work you might be better off with thier combination coarse/fine ceramic stone Mal. Lightweight yet remarkably strong.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Mal

The axminster waterstones are great but they are a bit heavy to take out and about. I ended up cutting the last 3 inches of the stone off with a hacksaw. This left enough to use at home and made a small lighter weight field combo stone. It did take a couple of hacksaw blades but they were cheapo from a diy place.

The lightest field sharpener has to be a starkie or just the belt you have with you (sorry jake not wanting to suggest another piece of leather is as good).

Bill

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
In the feild I use a small arkansas stone, the pouch has the legend "official sharpening stone of the boy scouts of america". About 4 x 1 x 1/2 inches. Large face for knives and axes, narrow face for the billhook.

Dave

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I use the DC4 sharpening stone for sharpening anf then the Starkie (don't click here) for polishing and bringing to absolute razor edge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE