Imber

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Actually its not that random if you live locally and know where it is

but if you dont then it probably is Tengu being Tengu; which is cool and in the know

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
We used to go to Imber village alot with my Nan and Grandad from Shrewton, when you could go any where on the plain on a Sunday, then back to the Bustard inn for sunday lunch, ther'd always be some armoured company parked having a beer and a rest, used to get the odd ride about in a 432 or something else.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
There are very very few days when you can get there.

Imber (is on Salisbury Plain which) boasts many species of butterfly unheard of anywhere else and 80% of Englands barn owls.

The Army took it over before pesticide use. It's truly stunning even on the range path, in the middle is something else.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Wheres the Bustard Inn?

Next Question; Wheres The Bustards????

Can I take pics on the range?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the Bustard in is on the road to Larkhill from Shrewton, leave Shrewton on the B3086 (it's called the packway) towards Larkhill, a mile or so along you'll see whopping great corn silos on your left, then a camp and a cross roads, turn left and keep going till you come to the pub, just before the range hut, there's a sign post at the cross roads for it. there's a little community living down that road. took these from google earth if it helps:

the cross roads 51°12'2.48"N 1°51'46.01"W

the Bustard inn 51°12'49.12"N 1°52'12.68"W

We used to take lots of pics while out and about on the plain, and at Imber, any thing your not supposed to photo is generally marked.

hope this helps.

Last edited:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Depends on your definition of wild really, some were re-introduced a few years ago. I believe that they have bred for the past year or so. I do try to keep an eye out when I'm on the plain!

Cheers
Louis

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
When I was in the mob as a crow, my unit provided security for the Yanks with nuclear cruise whilst they exercised at Imber. (It was in '87 as Hungerford was kicking off and they put us on standby as the nearest armed unit). They were having a night ex one night and I remarked to my mate that I was stagging on with that the firefight was very realistic and he replied that it was but blanks don't produce tracer!

A quick cease fire and a stand to later to make sure we weren't being attacked, discovered that one of the soldiers had run out of blanks for his M16 so had jumped on the M60, which had live rounds because they had live nukes!

Also did some FIBUA training in the village on other occasions and have even fallen asleep in the churchyard during a break. From memory the sign on the church door gave the service dates which were only 3 or 4 a year? Fascinating place.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE