I'm so excited!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Does this mean I'm in the spoon club now?

spoon4.jpg

Carved in elm and finished with olive oil.

Pappa

bowman

Jan 6, 2006
East Sussex
Well done, Pappa!

Nice work - I like the grain. I'm still very pleased with completing the first few. It's amazing how much each one teaches you - I guess the skill comes in remembering each mistake on every new attempt.

Congratulations.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I would have prefered the bowl to be a lot thinner, but there's a knot right in the middle of the bowl and it was a real chore to carve out. Eventually I gave up and just finished the rest as best I could. I am very pleased with it as a first attempt, but it's not actually a very practical spoon (which was the original intention). It's definitely taught me a lot though, and I'm sure my next one will be better.

I'm thinking about a tiny blackthorn teaspoon next.

Pappa

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Good work mate, thanks for taking the time to show us.. how did you find working the elm? did you season it?

Well done, i really like the look of it :)

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
tomtom said:
Good work mate, thanks for taking the time to show us.. how did you find working the elm? did you season it?

Well done, i really like the look of it :)

After reading that Elm rarely splits, I just decided to carve it green. I was fine to work (although I've only ever tried Blackthorn before, and it was considerably easier than that). For some reason, I managed to visialise the basic shape quite early on, but I did have a lot of trouble getting everything symetrical and ballanced later on.

Pappa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE