I'm on the scrounge.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi All you generous bushcrafty types.

I am after some equipment cheap. i am trying to fill a demo box of crap kit. i need some examples of really bad knives and other tools. Anything really that you think OMG why did i buy that or that you think its positively dangerous.

Cheers

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
In 1998 I bought a cheap chinese SAK in Rome on the street. :roll: I hope i don't have to explain why this is bad. :wink: :rolmao:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Try the Dakota knife! Positively uselessly usless. Haven't seen it anywhere but a small shop in spain where i just *had* to buy it!

I've never got it to an edge that would cut anything other than...well...not much. As soon as the edge arrives, it leaves :eek:):

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
How about those crappy "survival knives" with the bubble compass on the handle?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Ooh ooh, Adi, remember the "useless kit" thread? Well the survival knife i got from Magic and Sparkle ( :roll: ) was positively hilarious.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Damn I slung one knife when I moved - it was cheap pakistani steel that wouldn't hold an edge. I bought it for £1 as I was curious about the opening mechanism. The blade was twice as long as the handle - which is strange on a folder ( not to mention downright dangerous ) but it had a curious mechanism that opened up a crossbar when the blade was opened. It also bent when I used to it to score a mark on a piece of slate - hence slinging it.

Realgar

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
just go to your local £1 shop you will find some rubbish there! :eek:):

also local town markets sell such stuff.

books on how to be a soldier?

how to escape the "Enemy"?

a word of caution!!!

make sure your audience "KNOW" it's crap kit and it isn't yours!

:rolmao:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
just a nosey question now, why have a demo box of crap?

why not just give full attention to the good stuff?

a problem with showing the crap is that the average chap on the street might think "well that's ok, it's not that bad", or "i got one of them for christmas".

you could be in danger of miss advertising bushcraft i.e.

look at what "survivalists used to use, this is what we use now".
do you see what i mean? :?:

i don't want to knock you just be careful, as we can sometimews be misunderstood as closet survivalists, especially if we have lots of knives on display.

that aside i hope you do well! :wink:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The reason i want the odd piece of crap kit is that no matter how much you explain the advantages and disadvantages of certain design features people still do not fully comprehend the value of experience until they have been able to handle the crap. Then when you show decent kit, not necessarily expensive kit people generally are more receptive.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Very good idea Wayne. Hands on is usually best :biggthump

Unfortunately I am really just buying my kit and spent a lot of time trying to avoid cra :) But if I find any down in the 'stuff to sort' boxes, I will let you know.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
fair enough :biggthump

hope it goes well!

if you are going to break/smash stuff make sure you are covered in the safety area! :shock:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I'll also have a look for that M&S survival tool. If i still have it i'll send it to you!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
ah that brings back fond teenage memouries of not being able to do much atall! :roll:

in "Tesco's" in the christmas gift section is a particulally useless:

radio/carabina/compass! i think they also have a selection of "tools" and an electronic map measurer with compass built in!

you know the sort! :roll:

for a laugh in "QD" at present they have a hammer with a screw-on hollow handle to store other screwdriver, hex heads ect!

how about one of those credit card survival tools, victorinox makes one, i have one printed from stainless steel (yup that one) with knife edge saw ect, surprisingly it has come in handy!
but suprisingly useless in the wildernes! :shock:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I Quite like me swiss card, i always forget a pen and it has one.. and for those of us who dont like SAKs the tweasers are good for ticks..!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE