I'm in the market for a crook knife

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Ben Orford is the only one I have seen with indian crook knives. I bought a blade off Dave budd and put a handle on it myself and he advised me to be cautious with larger handles as they can put to much stress on the blade. He also advised me to use gouges and I probably use them more than the crook knives now.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
What do you mean by 'bent handle'?

I suspect you are after a 'spoon carving knife', not a crook knife. Quite a lot of the crook knives have a straight blade - it is at an angle to the handle, and fulfills many of the uses of a spokeshave or drawknife. Sometimes they have a slight upward curve to the tip.

If you want to finish off the inside of kuksas, spoons, etc, then you need a spoon knife. Dave budd's are excellent, Robin Wood is also making some that look good (I've not used one, but Robin won't be selling rubbish).

The mora double-edge ones don't work so well. I have one and it is better since I reprofiled it, but still not a patch on the blade I bought from Dave.

dodgerdog

May 6, 2014
Shropshire
I have a few, I started with a couple of mora's but found them quite clunky. I then went for one of Ben Orfords open sweep Crook knives. This was much better but the blade is still quite thick and seems to bite a bit deeper than I'd like.

Next was robin woods Crook knife, compound curve, so good for getting into the bottom of deeper stuff. It has a much longer handle which I find very handy and the blade came ridiculously sharp. I'll find a link when I get a sec.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
This is my mocotaugan. Bog Oak, few thousand years old.

image.jpg5_zpsiphvpucw.jpg

My Mora is very good as well, but I had to modify it a bit, smooth it into a rounded bevel, and break the tip off.

Im going to make some basketweave sheaths for them, along with a knife.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
New or used, revise the bevel of a farrier's hoof-trimming knife to 12 degrees.
You get both a crooked knife with a progressive sweep and the scorp-like tip in the bargain.
Look for Mora/Frost #171, 188, Hall, Ukal/Supervet and Diamond #271.
I use them all, mostly rehafting the blades as PacNW style carving tools.

The Mocotaugan knives can be crooked 3 ways: sweep, haft and alignment.
In eastern North America, they are planing blades for snowshoe and pack frames
as well as canow ribs and thwarts. Not wood carving, per se.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's exactly what I'm talking about.
I expect for farrier service, the bevel is about 25 degrees.
I begin with a 7/32" chainsaw file and scrub the bevel down to 12 degrees, even inside the scorp tip.
400, 600, 800 & 1500 grit sandpapers on 3/4" or smaller rods to clean that up.
Hone with something like CrOx/AlOx scribbled on thin card stock.

You will get an edge which can cut you so quickly that you wno't hardly feel it for 5 seconds.

I have a few, I started with a couple of mora's but found them quite clunky. I then went for one of Ben Orfords open sweep Crook knives. This was much better but the blade is still quite thick and seems to bite a bit deeper than I'd like.

Next was robin woods Crook knife, compound curve, so good for getting into the bottom of deeper stuff. It has a much longer handle which I find very handy and the blade came ridiculously sharp. I'll find a link when I get a sec.

if it was a bowl knife it was probably one of my Blades tho I haven't made any for him in a long time his bowl blades he makes in Sheffield as i couldn't do the Qtys he needed

BTW i consider a Scandinavian Spoon Knives (Crook Knife) used to hollow spoon bowls ie shaped like a Sheppard crook

and a Crooked Knife the N american indian Blade of with there are 2 types form different areas

North American Indian Mocotaugan (Crooked Knife) blades a great GP Carving tool

North American Indian Haida (Crooked Knife) blades a useful double edged carving tools used on the west coast for Totem poles etc

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The farrier's hoof knives come in both right and left-handed configurations. Often, the LH knife is hard to find.
Hindsight tells me to buy a pair. Four pairs later, my opinion hasn't changed.
Please find your local farrier and see if you can get a used knife. Plenty of steel left for wood carving.
For example: A new R or L Hall (Canada) farrier's knife costs me $50 each. Used from the local farrier, $5. You do the math.

I have built up a Mocotaugan knife from a Sheffield blade of the Hudson's Bay Company pattern. Looks like 1750's or so.
Not very useful in Pacific Northwest carving in western red cedar, as I have done for years.

Pacific Northwest style crooked carving knives are more versatile than just carving poles (how tedious.)
Ideal for smaller carvings (masks, rattles and feast dishes) with delicate details.
As shaping tools, the elbow adze is a "bandsaw on a stick" while the D adze can cut 1mm or less.

Look here for examples:
http://kestreltool.com/index.html

Also, Google this: UBC/MOA
That takes you to the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology.
You can sift/search/scan the online collection of 40,000+ objects.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE