I'm going to change my sig line; I am scunnered sick of the mud :sigh:

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Went out to feed the birds, but the paths are flooded, so had to unblock the leafy morass that was stopping the run out to the burn. It's been raining all day, not particularly heavy, but it's wet out there. I don't mind it when I'm busy, but when I'm trying to do something with every damned thing getting in the way, I can get a bit fed up of the rain too.
Then I had to clean up the pots that were cluttering up the doorway to the greenhouse, more mud :rolleyes: went to feed the birds and the lawn is mud soup, it really is, so I dug out the plastic tile thingies that are meant to act like a stepstone path /grid, and got them fitted down around the bird feeder. More mud, fed the birds, with my friendly blackie sitting watching from a foot away from me :), and then the pigeons descended. More mud.

I'm fed up of mud, it's not much fun to play outdoors in this weather :sigh:

M

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Day after day trudging through the mud does get to you after a while. My username might suggest I like mud, but it was born out of having to clean tons of mud off the dog every day at the time I joined the forum.

Hope things dry out for you, and that the weather improves for Scotland.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Went out to feed the birds, but the paths are flooded, so had to unblock the leafy morass that was stopping the run out to the burn. It's been raining all day, not particularly heavy, but it's wet out there. I don't mind it when I'm busy, but when I'm trying to do something with every damned thing getting in the way, I can get a bit fed up of the rain too.
Then I had to clean up the pots that were cluttering up the doorway to the greenhouse, more mud :rolleyes: went to feed the birds and the lawn is mud soup, it really is, so I dug out the plastic tile thingies that are meant to act like a stepstone path /grid, and got them fitted down around the bird feeder. More mud, fed the birds, with my friendly blackie sitting watching from a foot away from me :), and then the pigeons descended. More mud.

I'm fed up of mud, it's not much fun to play outdoors in this weather :sigh:

M

And breath.......

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I totally sympathize!
My first job of the day at the farm is to let the chickens out ... and they have turned their run into a deep morass of Mud, Excrement and Wet Sawdust from their roosts... (only by the doors - most of the run is still nice grass, trees etc - but I don't get to visit that bit:()
My second job of the day is to hose this foul smelling mess off my boots before starting the domiciliary care work!
Feeding the pigs can be messy too...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've two burns running in front of the house. Luckily during a heavy spate the wee one closest floods away from the house, over a wee playing field and into the bigger burn. Usually leaves the field under a couple of feet of water at the deepest point. This can have fish in it which the dog used to chase and can freeze over into a braw icerink for the barns. However the weight of water has been making the field sink more and more so last year a local building firm was contracted to put in drains. Didn't bode well then the digger was left abandoned due to the driver no having wellies so unable to reach it. Also wasn't filled with confidence watching them backfill ontop of the pipes. This was all confirmed as the first decent dod of rain after they were done left it so I could've paddled my canoe over it.
The recent rain and squall have left it a no go area once again.
Though we're elevated here a lot of the local land was a loch 'till a couple of hundred years ago so the water lies for a while. Still I've got good high boots and plenty waterproof so I'll not complain. Also I don't have to walk with a stick anymore, the wasn't good in the Somme like mire that abounded.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Down pipe started overflowing in the heavy rain so decided to do a quick job of clearing it by rodding it through. Rodding didn't work, stated to detach down pipe which suddenly freed itself with debouch of accumulated foul leafmould all over trousers. Thought may as well clean other downpipe now already filthy. This had growth of ivy size of medium anaconda in it. Needed to free downpipe from bottom end of soakaway so had to scrabble in mud. Now totally filthy. Thought to myself, "Who says muddy is a state of happiness?". Came in in foul mood, had hot shower, changed clothes. Remembered: it was my birthday and always have shower and change clothes on birthday whether I need to or not! Felt better, got taken out to swish restaurant for lunch and felt better still. Meadow isn't flooded yet, eary nantes carrots, greens and beetroot still plentiful. I've made 74 not out so outlook bright.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:hapbirth: :beerchug: and many more of them too :cool:

Yeah, it's been one of those clarty kind of days. A friend has offered me good quality hatching eggs come Springtime. I don't think I could be bothered with chooks as well as the mud on days like this :sigh:

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Happy Birthday Oldrtimer. :beer:
Here's to many more, hopefully some in the sunshine.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE