Im BACK! Jungle survival video for a bit of fun!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Well i dont think ive posted in a few years so i thought id come back with a bang!

heres a jungle survival video featuring yours truely!

I am no way claiming any of it is done perfectly, it was a few years back and was just a bit of fun...

four days, three nights, minimum kit!

enjoy!

[video=youtube;_5VEvc2rdW0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5VEvc2rdW0[/video]

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Nice one trekkingnut. What posed the biggest threat by way of animals/snakes/insects where you were?

From personal experience i find that reality of the risks of fauna in a jungle environment are quite low. Its often difficult to even see an animal in the first place whilst trying, let alone find one by accident.

Insects would probably be the largest issue on a day to day basis with the transmittal of malaria, dengue and leishmaniasis being prevalent in certain tropical environments.

Less serious but arguably equally as common would be a parasite such as the bot fly. This fly catches mosquitoes and butterflies in the air and lays its eggs on the underbelly. These are then transferred to you via normal mosquito contact or leaving damn (salt laced from sweat) clothes hanging up. The butterflies and moths then feed on the salt and the eggs become dislodged in your clothes. Therefore the eggs end up getting under your skin where they hatch into a lavae which eat out a living space under your skin as they grow. Both uncomfortable and straight up gross...

This was filmed in guayana where there are few leaches. However if it were in asia (borneo for example) then the risks of leaches are unfathomable and i have lost quantities of blood to the little baskets on many occasion. They carry a risk of infection if they are removed improperly.

Guyana has a relitively high concentration of Bushmaster snakes, none were seen. Snakes will generally scurry away if approached so i dont really consider them an issue if you are observant and know what you are doing.

Jaguars and Pumas are found in guayana but also run away like everything else way before you ever see them. They are possible to see lounging on the beach in dry season and i have found footprints following mine in the past but never any direct threat posed.

Even peccaries (jungle wild boar) in large groups can be very aggressive and have be known to kill and eat people in the past. However they cannot stand up on their back legs of jump so simply holding onto a tree at a height greater than theirs is an easy way to solve the situation... they get bored and leave...

In short... (sorry for the long answer) the jungle is neutral and very few animals pose a direct threat. most things are aware of the fact you are too big to eat so wont waste venom and poisonous things like caterpillars (the hairy ones prove very painful and can cause a painful rash or even temporary limb paralysis) are far more dangerous and more likely to be encountered than anything considered dangerous by western media.

sorry for the long answer, i got carried away! hah

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
In case anyone was wondering what Bornean leach damage looks like.....

[video=youtube;8IyRjM1t_Qk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IyRjM1t_Qk[/video]

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I control my exposure to leeches - by not returning to the hot, sweaty, disease breeding, stinking, dirty, ( but still strangely attractive) place called "the jungle".

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I control my exposure to leeches - by not returning to the hot, sweaty, disease breeding, stinking, dirty, ( but still strangely attractive) place called "the jungle".

hah the jungle is far from dirty!!! with the number of organisms to biodegrade everythings its clean! or do you just mean muddy?!?!?! in which case... yes... yes theres a lot of mud... maybe a litlte too much in rainy season...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE