I'm a fire starter, twisted fire starter...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
thanks to your posts ive been on it this evening in the shed, 2hrs of work for a pile of dust,
nevermind, as long as I keep having a crack at it im sure ill get it. maybe it would be an idea to
get a proven set from the internet, just so I can get a feel for it, or would that be cheating? :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
thanks to your posts ive been on it this evening in the shed, 2hrs of work for a pile of dust,
nevermind, as long as I keep having a crack at it im sure ill get it. maybe it would be an idea to
get a proven set from the internet, just so I can get a feel for it, or would that be cheating? :)

The combination I used as a beginner was a piece of broom handle and a bit of old pallet. They work superbly well and allow you to develop the body position, stance, muscle memory and strength when you move onto "forest woods".

My philosophy when learning new skills is to start easy and then work harder as I develop experience. A final point on making things easier for yourself is not to struggle using a wood bearing block; put a seahshell or a stone with a hole in it in the bearing and see the difference it makes.

Good luck and enjoy the ride; you'll get it one day :)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk

If you are in West Sussex mate, I'm just down the road. Don't go buying one, you can have a crack with mine if you like. Or checkout the Sussex Meet, we have a gathering once a month at Broadstone Warren. I'm normally there but if not, someone would be more than happy to give you a few tips and help you along the way.

Still no guarantee it will work though. But happy to help if I can.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
down in Worthing, nah I wont be able to make that meet either. no drama
I used elder on elder today, split a log and cut the spindle out of one of the
halves, given it a quick blast and it smocking pretty well within a minute,
off down the beach with the dog after dinner see if I cant find a good
stone or shell!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well done Jack..all your hard work finally paid off with success..its a big buzz when you make that ember for the first time and blow that tinder bundle to flame...!
Mental note...I must get my kit out and practice..:)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Out practicing again today. Managed to get the string the other way round, I.e. the hand side under the lead side. Much less wear on the string. Cut a new notch in the hearth but still on the same spindle. It has thinned quite a bit from where the string has been riding it. Also new bearing block as the old one was a bit on the thin side. Anyway, got a lovely big ember going in not too much time. Will have to go hunting for a new spindle soon, but that's half the fun.

also had a play with something else, but you'll have to wait for that tread until I've got time to right it up and download the pictures.

vukic

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Tiverton, Devon
Congrates.. Its great when all your hard work finally pays of.. :-D

What string do.you use for.the bow??

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
What haven't I used!

ive been through para cord, starter motor pull cord, purloin. But since I swapped over the way my line loops I've been using a sailing line, about 2.5mm braided. Looks like dyneema, but its not.

Spent a bit of time Sunday trying to use my other hand, ie right handed instead of left. Well we got to smoking, bit I've worn down my drill so much in the middle now, decided its time to retire it. Still, gives me an excuse to try another set and see if i can get the same success.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
You could always try the Egyptian bow drill technique where the cord is either tied onto the spindle using a constrictor knot or passes through a hole in the spindle. The cord can be quite slack doing it this way and is far less likely to break. If you Google it, you will find stories of people making fire with only two strands of dental floss as the cord.

Peter

Last edited:

vukic

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Tiverton, Devon
You could always try the Egyptian bow drill technique where the cord is either tied onto the spindle using a constrictor knot or passes through a hole in the spindle. The cord can be quite slack doing it this way and is far less likely to break. If you Google it, you will find stories of people making fire with only two strands of dental floss as the cord.

Peter

Think I'll have a look at that... Sound interesting.. And I.have loads of dental floss!!! :D

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE