I'm a father ( sort of)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Last month I went to a very infamous horse auction. This is a sad place, where badly injured, used up or overproduced excess stock wind up going to the knackers in spite of laws to the contrary in California. I spotted an older mare in terrible condition, but showing the memory of outstanding conformation and incredible manners. So, like an idiot I outbid the agents for dogfood and japanese restaurants and brought her home. I started putting real food into her, updated shots and worming, trimmed mangled hooves and slowly groomed a stunning blood bay coat back into the sunlight. We had two suprises. First, she had a microchip inplant and secondly was IN FOAL :eek: So we ran a check and found she had been stolen off a breeding farm by a ex employee and began hurried preparations for the delivery. Last night she foaled out a jet black little stallion in the huge pasture shared with my two quarterhorse mares. They ran off a few opportunistic coyotes. The rightfull owners are enroute. It turns out I have a retired steeplechase mount from England :D Baby is up and allready exploring the california poppies and butterflies from under mom's belly. I named him bushcrafter . The owners like the name :)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I wish! The mother was good enough to import from the U.K. to California and the Sire's breeding fee would keep me fed for 5 years. I'm being compensated for the expenses . They are major 3 day eventing competitors and breeders in the jumping circuit. They took one look at my newly acquired Canadian UP saddle and promised me a 'schoolmaster' older finished horse to learn all this english posting and jumping over things without getting myself killed.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
I wish! The mother was good enough to import from the U.K. to California and the Sire's breeding fee would keep me fed for 5 years. I'm being compensated for the expenses . They are major 3 day eventing competitors and breeders in the jumping circuit. They took one look at my newly acquired Canadian UP saddle and promised me a 'schoolmaster' older finished horse to learn all this english posting and jumping over things without getting myself killed.

why would you bother with the english posting and jumping? ;-) I love much more the western riding, here are starting up some western riding schools and I am going to have a look next friday to get my butt on a horse. I love to see western horses work. Our europian style is for rich kids doing no work with a horse. :cool: Well, i guess is likes or dislikes but I am amazed about the western horses, you guys have and your history.
I think they are quite stingy not to give you the little one or at least pay you a hell of a lot money. If it would not be for you some people would eat the horse or make dog food from them.

cheers
Abbe

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Abbe, legally the mare and foal are theirs. Ethically I would never think of claiming either. These people put a great deal of time, money and personal expertise into the breeding. It wasn't their fault the mare was stolen. I could never train this colt to his full potential, either from my particular expertise or financially. Besides, I have been compensated for my expenses, made new, influential friends in the horseworld and am promised a quality, older horse to learn on. An older, 'finished' horse of any decent breeding and physical condition is oftentimes worth a great deal of money. I've learned that all disciplines of horsemanship have a rich history and real world value. None are immune to the silliness or unscrupulous motives of people- including western riding in it's many forms. Besides, someday I may make it to a bushcraft meeting in GB and get an invitation to ride. Do you have any idea how silly I'd look throwing my 1880 reproduction Texas stock saddle, briaded jaquima and 80' rawhide reata on some english thoroughbred, banging him on the side with my tapaderos only to have him move in the opposite direction ( they do) I intended while people in Hunt coats look on :eek:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Abbe, legally the mare and foal are theirs. Ethically I would never think of claiming either. These people put a great deal of time, money and personal expertise into the breeding. It wasn't their fault the mare was stolen. I could never train this colt to his full potential, either from my particular expertise or financially. Besides, I have been compensated for my expenses, made new, influential friends in the horseworld and am promised a quality, older horse to learn on. An older, 'finished' horse of any decent breeding and physical condition is oftentimes worth a great deal of money. I've learned that all disciplines of horsemanship have a rich history and real world value. None are immune to the silliness or unscrupulous motives of people- including western riding in it's many forms. Besides, someday I may make it to a bushcraft meeting in GB and get an invitation to ride. Do you have any idea how silly I'd look throwing my 1880 reproduction Texas stock saddle, briaded jaquima and 80' rawhide reata on some english thoroughbred, banging him on the side with my tapaderos only to have him move in the opposite direction ( they do) I intended while people in Hunt coats look on :eek:

Chris, you have the right heart! :)
cheers
Abbe

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Chris, you know how to restore faith in man kind :D , there are too many people in the world who wouldn't have done what you have.

As you have said, you have made some good friends, not to mention a more suitable ride. You also probably made the owners very happy than you can imagine, nurture the friendship and in a few years maybe they will ask you to lead them on a horseback bushcraft trek. Cos their curiosity is going to get the better of them and they will ask what the foals name means :D

Well done :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE