Ilfracombe

Hungrytraveller

Feb 8, 2017
Ilfracombe
Hey all, looking for advice.

Intending to take my partners 15yr old for a weekend under tarp, and am planning to go to the cairn in ilfracombe.

Anyone know of any issues with this, or suggestions for other woodland locations suitable for wild camping with camp fire?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hello and welcome to the forum Hungry traveller.

It's clear you have great intentions but I'm afraid you won't get an answer here on where and how...

Most people here will not want to encourage you breaking the law , and I'm pretty sure BCUK does not encourage illegal activities.
I'm sorry if it sounds boring or a bit petty but it's the way it is unfortunately.
Wild camping without the land owners consent is illegal in the UK , let alone have a fire as well...and so folk will not advocate or recommend you doing that.
There are ways around that , like getting permission from the land owners and /or from the local authority .
Also , I'm not familiar with the soil in that particular area , but do be careful with peat soils , as fires can be smouldering for weeks underground long after you're gone...
Apologies if Im stating the obvious.

Best options for you is perhaps to find on here the nearest group to the place and get in touch with them , as often folk here have their own land and have regular meets and camps , giving everyone a chance to do what you had in mind as well as meet new folk and exchange ideas ...

Alternatively look for a campsite that allows fires or just try find a place where you can gain permission from the owner .

I'm not sure if the beach is allowed fires and camp , but I think the rules apply there too...

Sorry if it disappoints .

... but if you go ahead and do it anyway , please be mindful of your surroundings and soil composition , leave only footprints and take only memories.

A leave no trace approach (including no fire scars)
has the least impact on the environment and land chosen for your adventure.

As well as educating your young companion , this will ensure that if you do get spotted and moved on , at least you've made an effort to minimise impact , with due diligence . And so the land owners may be kinder and helpful to you ...

Hope it helps , and be safe👍

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE