If you go down to the wooods today . . . (Picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
You're in for a big surprise.
If you go down to the woods today,
You'll hardly believe your eyes.

Here we have a relatively new species to the British woodlands. Since it was first introduced from it's native urban environment it has been breeding rapidly and can be spotted frequently at any time of the year. The best place for spotting the wild Shopping Trolley is usually in thick shrubs but here it is relaxing in a brook.

trolley01.jpg

Next we have the Burned Out Moped. Here it is basking in one of its favourite locations. A frequent visitor to our British ditches it also enjoys other wetland areas such as this stream.

moped01.jpg

The old tyre is a firm countryside favourite, just as much at home in local woodland as it is in the inner-city. This fine specimen wandered deep into the local woods and it may have become lost.

tyre01.jpg

Next I managed to capture two separate piles of litter. Extremely popular in all habitats, litter has managed to spread the world over carrying itself in backpacks, pockets, shopping bags, indeed anywhere it can hide. It's human host, upon discovering that it has litter hiding in it's clothing or baggage develops a sudden urge to discard it as quickly as possible. This clever evolutionary technique has helped litter to propagate rapidly all over the world. It is a true evolutionary wonder.

litter01.jpg

rubbish02.jpg

Lastly I want to present my most impressive specimen, the Burnt Out Car. Just how this specimen got into the river is a truly vexing enigma. Unfortunately it burnt and seriously damaged an oak tree but I had to put aside my sentimentality to marvel at this sight.

car01.jpg

Look at the beautiful waterfall it has created as it dams up the river.

car02.jpg

I think these pictures are proof that our youth and our couch potatoes are getting up from their TVs and video games to get outside and enjoy the environment a little more these days.

Reactions: Seagull

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Rebel said:
You're in for a big surprise.
If you go down to the woods today,
You'll hardly believe your eyes.

trolley01.jpg

I've often thought that these trolleys have committed suicide, fed up with the tedium of supermarket life - perhaps even they have a hankering for the great outdoors!

Its a pity they can't do it in a more considerate way.

Ogri the trog

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
If they put half as much effort as getting that trolley to the woods....

Once you stray over the red line with our trolleys you may as well have a one ton clamp on the blummin thing. :D
As for those litter piles, surely a turner prize winner.
A sorely sobering but good post mate.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
You never know maybe the beavers have got into driving :naughty: Thats disgusting,I use to do a lot of work with the BTCV and you get that every where,whether its in the middle of nowhere or the inner city.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Good post, Reb.

It represents exactly the sort of thing which winds up a lot of folk, bigtime.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
They do a nice line in discarded fridges, up my way, also rugs and carpet, with the odd ironing board and kids toys.

Once happened on 12 brandnew neckties, but they weren,t my style.

Still, it was nice of them to give the mini a washdown, just forgot to collect it, eh.

Ceeg

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hey Rebel. It's a sorry state and makes me very angry sometimes, specially with the huge raft of recent waste legislation that has come in recently.
I am surprised that the car is still there as it is VALUABLE ! It is clean scrap and will fetch more than £40.00 at the metal recyclers. This makes me sound like a pikey, although at present burned out cars do not hang around here for more than 24 hrs as the recovery people know this and act quickly to remove them. If they are in the woods and difficult to reach I usually help by picking them up and putting them on the roadside.
A thought perhaps....get the car to a point where it is accessible and fill it with the trolley and moped and strike a deal with someone to remove it?
Swyn.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Ogri the trog said:
I've often thought that these trolleys have committed suicide, fed up with the tedium of supermarket life - perhaps even they have a hankering for the great outdoors!

Its a pity they can't do it in a more considerate way.

Ogri the trog

:D Perhaps that would normally be the case. But this is a perfect specimen. Most trolleys come into the woods badly injured after a tortuous struggle. Gangs of youths often set about them and vent their prejudices and frustration on them before finally discarding them to die.

The specimen I photographed is a testament to how a trolley can survive a long journey through the city streets (at least three miles) and arrive unscathed into our woodlands. It is truly a credit to it's kind.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
swyn said:
Hey Rebel. It's a sorry state and makes me very angry sometimes, specially with the huge raft of recent waste legislation that has come in recently.
I am surprised that the car is still there as it is VALUABLE ! It is clean scrap and will fetch more than £40.00 at the metal recyclers. This makes me sound like a pikey, although at present burned out cars do not hang around here for more than 24 hrs as the recovery people know this and act quickly to remove them. If they are in the woods and difficult to reach I usually help by picking them up and putting them on the roadside.
A thought perhaps....get the car to a point where it is accessible and fill it with the trolley and moped and strike a deal with someone to remove it?
Swyn.

Amazingly that car has been there for over a year - I have a photograph I took of it last year. I think the reason that it hasn't been taken by scrap dealers is that a) they don't know it's there and b) they (or anybody else) can't get to it without being let in by the council.

I believe it's on public land and I don't know why the council haven't done anything about it. Perhaps I'll call them up and have a go at them. I'm already known to them for bugging them about other things so I guess another call won't hurt. :rolleyes:

The problem with removing it is that it will be difficult and IMO the equipment will cause quite a bit of damage to the surrounding area (nothing permanent but it will look ugly for a while, especially because the ground it totally waterlogged right now).

Reactions: BOD

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Seagull said:
Good post, Reb.

It represents exactly the sort of thing which winds up a lot of folk, bigtime.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
They do a nice line in discarded fridges, up my way, also rugs and carpet, with the odd ironing board and kids toys.

Once happened on 12 brandnew neckties, but they weren,t my style.

Still, it was nice of them to give the mini a washdown, just forgot to collect it, eh.

Ceeg

Yeah, I tried to keep it upbeat. Sad thing is there's plenty more stuff out there but I try not to think about it too much - too depressing.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Rebel,

Its sad to see the old and infirm trolleys that couldn't keep up during the migration. At least it keeps the main herd strong.

Enjoyed the humourous perspective, cheers. :)

Stu

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
gross aint it?

its the same here in Newfoundland makes me sick when i walk into the woods and see a washing machine a mile back into the trees when it would have cost less and been easier to drop it at the land fill 10 minutes away.

dean

swyn said:
Swyn.

My neighbour (a metal worker) has an iron scrap pile in the front of his yard. The new phenomenon is that gangs (from Eastern Europe mostly) regularly raid the place for scrap iron. This is a new trend, along with stealing copper cable from rural area's.

Shall I tell the Romanians here to pay a visit to UK to clean up?

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I must say you're local woods are much more varied and exotic in its denizens than mine. It is a very rare and unusual site to see big game like the mighty Burnt Out Car away from its natural habitat on road side verges and wast ground.

But you should always remember that bushcraft doesn't just mean natural, use these urban migrants to your advantage. You could hunt and dismember the Moped and mighty Burnt Out Car for primitive knives and arrow heads. The flesh of the Old Tyre makes excellent secondary tinder and the skin on the female Litter can be melted and used as glue, the skin of the more colorful male Litter can be melted and shaped into colorful beads and ornaments. Also the symbiotic Drinks Can can be made into simple alcohol stoves.

Grate post :You_Rock_ , and don't let the :censored: grind you down.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
WhichDoctor said:
I must say you're local woods are much more varied and exotic in its denizens than mine. It is a very rare and unusual site to see big game like the mighty Burnt Out Car away from its natural habitat on road side verges and wast ground.

But you should always remember that bushcraft doesn't just mean natural, use these urban migrants to your advantage. You could hunt and dismember the Moped and mighty Burnt Out Car for primitive knives and arrow heads. The flesh of the Old Tyre makes excellent secondary tinder and the skin on the female Litter can be melted and used as glue, the skin of the more colorful male Litter can be melted and shaped into colorful beads and ornaments. Also the symbiotic Drinks Can can be made into simple alcohol stoves.

Grate post :You_Rock_ , and don't let the :censored: grind you down.

:lmao:

Great, I like it! :D

How about a "StreetcraftUK" forum for urban bushcrafters? Instead of cursing the fly-tippers, litter louts, filth, dog excrement, etc, why not put it to good use?

Here at StreetcraftUK © ® ™ we provide you with tips from our experts on great practical uses for old rubbish. You used to walk down the streets cursing and slipping in dog poo but soon you'll be seeing these things through new eyes as we show you how to use these things to your advantage.

Plus we'll give you great tips on how to enter off-licenses and make a purchase at night, even though there are ten hoodies standing outside it smoking. There'll be tips on how to use your wits to deflect muggers even though you are unarmed (of course) and they all have knives and guns.

If you're planning on sleeping rough we have downloadable maps with all the best doorways and railway arches in London. We plan to expand our maps to the entire country so stay tuned. There's tips on where to find dry cardboard boxes to wrap yourself in too.

Foraging for food? No problem. In our members only section we let you know where and when you can get your hands on free food.

Our resident experts are always on hand to give you the tips and advice you need, from kit chatter to building a shelter (or squatting a ready made one).

All this and much more for a reasonable monthly rate of £9.99.

Disclaimer: 1. StreetcraftUK © ® ™ is providing the Service and the Sites included in the Service on an "as is" basis and makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the Sites, the content contained in them (including any text, graphics, advertisements, links or other item) or any website you access via the Sites, the Service or any software or content supplied to you and disclaims all such representations and warranties.
2. In addition, neither StreetcraftUK © ® ™, its third party contractors nor any other contributor to the Service or the Sites makes any representation or gives any warranty, condition, undertaking or term either express or implied as to the condition, quality, performance, accuracy, suitability, fitness for purpose, completeness, or freedom from viruses of the content or software contained on the Sites or supplied in connection with the Service or that any such content or software will be accurate, up to date, uninterrupted or error free.
3. You should note that prices appearing on the Sites are not offers from us or from third parties offering goods or services on the Sites. They are an invitation for you to make an offer. Please read the terms and conditions of the relevant third party before entering into a transaction on the Sites.
4. We may provide links, including hypertext links, from the Sites to other websites, resources, advertisements or sponsorships, either directly or indirectly through the contractual partners, which are not under our control. Information contained on the Sites which have been provided by third parties and/or information on any other website which is accessed via the Sites have not been independently verified by StreetcraftUK © ® ™. We accept no responsibility for these links and do not endorse their contents and we shall have no liability to you for any failure on the part of the operator of the linked site or any of its suppliers to fulfil any obligation owed to you or for any defective or deficient product or service any of them might supply to you. Should a dispute arise between yourself and any third party due to use of the Sites, we will use reasonable endeavours to assist its resolution but we will not be responsible for any loss or damage suffered as a result. If you decide to access other websites, you do so completely at your own risk.
5. You acknowledge that you are solely responsible for the use to which you put the Service, (which use shall for the avoidance of doubt be limited solely to a personal use, excluding any and all business users), and all information, data and results you obtain from using it and that all warranties, conditions, undertakings, representations and terms whether expressed or implied, statutory or otherwise are hereby excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Perhaps its just me But these pictures offer lots of oppotunities With the piles of litter, a few pictures and a letter or two to your local council/mp along the lines of community service is not cleaning the mayors rollsroyce but cleaning this up ? The old car tyre put it in the deepest nettle bed and cover with as many old sticks/logs etc as possible to provide a little secure habitat . with the old shopping trolly turn it so the open top faces upstream and anchor as secure as possible with some rocks or better still a steel spike and put in some sticks to start it off eventually it will act as a net collecting all the detritus in the water making a small island get a pair to make a small dam . The old car is doing more good where it is as you say acting as a dam chain the doors closed and fill it with rubbish , hopfully things will start to grow in/ thro it with a little help .
Perhaps with a little encouragement some good can come from it see if the council can start a friends group , Or sponser a clean up encourage local youth groups to get involved making bird boxes ,growing planting etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE