identity

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well you may have seen my pics title birch polypore.......s o flushed with success of posting pics have a look at these and tell me what they are....sorry to be so thick but I am new to this ( and having great fun!!!!!! :) )

Now I havent seen a wild clematis but was thinking maybe this could be it as it looks a bit like the gardeners climber ( sorr bottom pic)
This pic came out quite well

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Middle one is gorse, have a smell on the flowers and tell me what you think the smell is......
The other two look like honeysuckle....

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I guessed gorse but thought wasnt sure how to spell it ( :lmao: ) and someone would come up with a posh name for it!
Honeysuckle should have known as got one in the garden....not as old as that one so not as thick and gnarled I guess honeysuckle doesnt help me trying to identify wild clematis then!!!! Out trying to identify trees really today but very few leaves and buds make for a hard time identifying ....its all better than doing diy on my day off eh!?
D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats honeysuckle for certain. Wild clem is likely still to have downy seed heads on (like dandelion down). The vine looks similar though

Red

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
I think you'll recognise clematis when you see it as the leaves are much like what you'll find in the garden though off the top of my head I can't remember exactly what they look like. But like BR says, clematis is very likely to still have the old mans beard seed heads attached.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
just out of interest does the clematis 'gain' the wooley texture at a certain time of the year? Do they stay wooley or lose their fluffiness? Cant seem to find any at he mo........just made some char cloth though following your directions BR and it worked superb.......just like to find some nat stuff now :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
tommy the cat said:
just out of interest does the clematis 'gain' the wooley texture at a certain time of the year? Do they stay wooley or lose their fluffiness? Cant seem to find any at he mo........just made some char cloth though following your directions BR and it worked superb.......just like to find some nat stuff now :)

The sed heads are fluffy. They look like this

354167556_8a24a2c28c.jpg

They are reputed to make great tinder. To be honest I find it to be godawful stuff for lighting unless I dip it in salt petre. So why bother?

The bark rubbed off the stem though and buffed up to finer than grass is very useful.

Spot the seed heads, strip some bark off a stem (its a weed so you don't ahve to be too loving), get it really dry (in a pocket or cheat in the airing cupboard) and use as primary or secondary tinder - good stuff!

It grows well on chalk and clay do if there are downlands around you, thats where to look!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE