Identifying plants

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Generally, where I practise bushcraft, there is very few trees and very few plants. I do go to other places sometimes, but not that often. I can identify plants a little, but only a little. I'd like to learn more. I can recognise a few trees and a few ground plants. However, often I'll come across plants that look nothing like things in bushcraft books. For example, a couple of weeks ago I was out by a loch and I found something that looked like a mint plant, but I didn't know if it was edible or not, or even if it was definately mint as I had a cold and therefore no smell.
Is there something like a questionaire I could print out that would at least allow me to identify the family of plants like this? e.g Does it have leaves in pairs? If yes- Does it.. If no - Does it ..

All the bushcraft books I've seen have only a few plants that live near me, and there are many more mysterious plants I would like to identify. Ideally, I'd be able to pinpoint the family it was in, at least then I'd have an idea of what it was. If you don't have any info like that, it can be a long time looking through lots of books to find something.

Thanks

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
An identifying feature of the mint family is that they have square stems. You won't necessarily see this if your eyesight is anything like mine but feel the stem and you'll feel the squareness. Also the leaves in the mint family are generally speaking oval or at least not divided but can be 'slightly' toothed (like ground Ivy) The woundworts are in the mint family and are common, they look a bit like nettle leaves before they bloom, and smell of cat's pee. :confused:
I don't know what books you have but if you can look at some of the plants characteristics that you want to identify they are usually similar in that particular family and should be grouped in their families in the book, so shouldn't need you to trawl through every page.

I find young plants at this time of year hard to identify. I've built up the bit I know over years of looking at wild plants and trees and I still have LOADS to learn. I always recommend learning just a few at a time and just build on it. Go for a walk and say to yourself, 'right today I'm going to learn 3 new plants' and then just concentrate on that and look them up in your book, then 3 more next time, and next time etc. As you build your knowledge keep the plants fresh in your mind and ID the plants you've learnt over and over everytime you see them. I do it all the time walking along nameing the plants I know to myself, and photographing the ones I don't, it's a bit like constantly testing your own knowledge.
I always take a camera and notebook with me if I'm out, and find the photos Invaluable for ID'ing. Even if I don't have a book with me. I've spent many happy hours in bed with my cup of tea or beer and plethora of plant books spread out on the duvet looking up plants I've photographed and you can cross reference in other books too.

Anyway good luck

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What you need is a good field guide with a key. There are lots and everyone will have favourites. The one we use is OK but I don't know that many to compare. Ours is Pub Kingfisher "Filed Guide to the Wild Flowers of Britain and northern Europe" David Sutton

Starts with a key which is what you describe first question is water plants-leaves mostly floating or submerged/ not water plants. Most of the book is 1 page per species with colour drawings and info.

Just 15 questions in the key gets you to the couple of pages in the book with the related species in a family to choose between. fits in a big pocket at 8" x 5"

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
Bushcraft and survival books cover just few plants.I use several books of healing herbs,wild edible plants,weeds book, dendrology boks with ID key for trees and shrubs,many fungi books.And,as Falling Rain mentioned above,keep knowledge fresh in your mind.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Is there something like a questionaire I could print out that would at least allow me to identify the family of plants like this? e.g Does it have leaves in pairs? If yes- Does it.. If no - Does it ..

Try this site http://www.botanicalkeys.co.uk/flora/ I have tried it a few times but don't get on with it, maybe it will work for you being in a different location to me...
Take a few photo's of any plant your not sure of and research at home or ask on here..

N

Nitro

That looks like a useful link, will give that one a try too.
I have a selection of books and like to look at as many different pictures, drawings and descriptions as I can for each plant, especially in the plants different stages of growth.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Also, you may want to have a look at the thread: "Book Review: British Wild Flower ID Books", 15 Feb 2008, Kit and Tools /Member Reviews and Testing forum (I can't post a link to it at the moment).

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE